heat - or rather lack of it!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Neil McRae, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Neil McRae macrumors regular

is it just me or is the new 2012 running a lot cooler than the 2011? I have both of them here doing the same job (encoding movies) and the 11 fan is whirring and really hot, the 12 is cool and quiet - any one else notice?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

3. Xikum macrumors 6502

Well the point of Ivy Bridge was that they are more efficient dyes than the Sandy Bridge range; they draw less power (I think, not 100% sure on the workings) to do the same task.

Its no surprise (thankfully) that the Ivy Bridge CPU driven laptop is cooler :).

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

Under regular use (web, pages, mail, etc.) it is cool. Add a few more things and it warms up. Run a Hulu video and it gets toasty, with the fan coming on, and my palms sweating. I don't know if it is cooler than the 2011, but it is definitely not a "cool" computer, in my opinion.

This isn't a complaint. Just an observation. It does pretty much what I expected it to do. I would have been happy with a cool computer too. But, that's OK. Maybe next year :)

5. Jobsian macrumors 6502a

Jobsian

Which processor do you have, i5 or i7?

6. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

I think Haswell will be a big step up for the Air. The 2013 Airs are going to be very impressive (not that the current Airs aren't). May even get a slight redesign? Nothing major just a few minor changes maybe.

7. asattwanger macrumors newbie

Yep, the upgrades are what a week old and here we go looking toward 2013.;)

8. Neil McRae thread starter macrumors regular

9. palpatine macrumors 68040

LOL. You knew it would happen. This year's computer is OK, but wait until next year when we have liquid metal, carbon fiber, a redesign, retina screens, Haswell...

Anyhow, this year's computer is great. I guarantee next year's will be better, whatever they do. I'll see you next year in the Apple store. In the meantime, I'll enjoy my precious :)

10. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

I've seen the CPU going at 90ºC while doing regular stuff. (Not just surfing the web but didn't need to start encoding a 25GB video file).
    It gets pretty HOT over the F3-F5 function keys.

11. Tu13es macrumors regular

This whole heat/temp thing with the new Airs is kind of intriguing. It seems the in almost all cases, CPU temps can get to 90-100C under load, but the chassis stays cool to the touch. The MBP seems almost opposite...not as hot CPU but scorching hot case. Hmm...