Heat output of new MBPs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacGeekDC, Oct 21, 2008.

1. MacGeekDC macrumors 6502

I was reading an article online saying that the new MacBooks are much cooler and quieter. I was wondering what new MBP owners have experienced in terms of heat output.

2. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I have only had my MBP for 1/2 a day so far, so it's early days. I have upgraded from an early 2007 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro to the new 2.53 GHz version. I have not used the 9600 GT graphics chip yet, but on normal day to day stuff the new machine is cooler running than my old. I used the migration tool to move data from the old to the new MBP . During the transfer I could hear the fans on the old machine speed up,but the new was very quiet.

3. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I posted some results of temps I took with an infrared thermometer on the new mbp. The hottest temps I got on the bottom or anywhere else while under heavy use, was about 115F surface temp. Not hot enough to burn, but can definitely cause discomfort on bare legs.

4. Kaliemon macrumors member

Much cooler than the old ones. I can actually use it on my lap with burning myself now.
    I will say that I had a Rev. A first gen MBP that thought it was supposed to be used for cooking

CPU temp on new one averages 42ºC verse old one at 65ºC
    Enclosure temp on new one 26ºC verse old one at 48ºC

5. Atomic Ed macrumors regular

I read that as well and was surprised when I visited the Apple store to play with the new MBPs and the first thing I noticed was how extremely hot to the touch the chassis were compared to my SR model. Man some were so hot they felt like you could make a toasted cheese sandwhich on them. Definitely too hot to hold on the lap. Has anyone else experienced this or could this just be some specific units at the store with heat issues from sketchy chips or poor thermal paste application etc?

6. MacFever macrumors regular

MacFever

Your the only one so far to say they run hotter?

anyone else can atest to the heat comparison?

7. Atomic Ed macrumors regular

Don't get me wrong I am not claiming the new model runs hotter, all I am saying is the ones I touched in the store were extremely hot to the touch, more so than any machine I ever felt before. I even ponder if it is limted to a batch of defective ones or something. I do not know which is why I asked if anyone else noticed this at the stores.

8. MacGeekDC thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe it is just because they are display models and have been running nonstop for the whole day? I kinda noticed it too that's why I started the thread to see how hot they got in real use in peoples homes.

9. thespyglass macrumors regular

thespyglass

Ditto to this. 'Hot' is subjective as well: any more temperature stats from people who've had the things at home?

I've been into my local store to play on the new ones three times now - colour me obsessed - but I have nothing to compare the heat too but my current 1.4Ghz 400MB RAM laptop! Which runs kinda hot, not so hot I avoid putting it on my lap, but is also plastic. For what it's worth, I've been 'visiting' towards the end of the day and the MBPs have generally been warm on the underside but I wouldn't call them 'hot'. I suppose they're not doing many crazy things though.

10. MacGeekDC thread starter macrumors 6502

When I looked at them in the store, I didn't think the bottom was too hot but for some reason the palm rest was.

11. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

I had the 2007 model right before the penryn update. A 2.4 with the 8600M, and I agree. The new MBPs are much cooler and quieter.

The old models got so hot in your lap you could use them for sterilizations.

This thing is fantastic.

12. thirtytwopaths macrumors member

something to note...I JUST got back from the apple store and did noticed that the underside of some of the new macbook pros were pretty hot. I moved over to the one next to it and it wasnt hot at all. So I took a look at the energy properties on both and the hot one was on high performance, while the cooler one had battery saver on. I read about the difference this makes here but testing it in person, it is a SIGNIFICANT temperature difference. Definitely only use high performance if you really need it.

13. eba macrumors regular

Heat is a non-issue running the 9400. I've owned virtually every iteration of MBPs, and this is the only one that doesn't run hot in routine use.

14. Atomic Ed macrumors regular

Well that explains what I was experiencing at the Apple store when I was there and noticed the extreme heat on some of them. I was thinking they may have been defective but your noticing the power settings makes sense. However it seems strange to have a high performance setting that drives thermal temperature so high like that. My previous SR MBP has run days on end and never got more than warm to the touch at all. I never ever had my machine run even close to hot like that. Maybe the new GPU run really hotter than the 8600 did and when it is switched on via the power settings it gets too hot. Well this is good info for those considering one with the expectation of running it mostly in high performance mode. Thanks for catching this.