Heat Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by masterstyx, Mar 3, 2008.

1. masterstyx macrumors newbie

I've been using a 1 ghz Titanium Powerbook for 5 years now. I've enjoyed it with no problems and decided to purchase the new Macbook Pro 2.5. Amazing difference in machines and I hope that this one will last just as long.

One of the differences that I noticed was the warm temperature coming from the wrist rests (compared to the TI). It's certainly not hot or too warm to rest my wrist on, but it is definitely there, mostly on the left side. I'm guessing this is because of the different material that the wrist rests are made of (Plastic? vs Aluminum?), but I wanted to make sure this was normal.

I'm a little surprised the fans aren't running faster to keep up with the heat. Although my TI sounded like a hair dryer, it ran pretty cool. I've been watching the temps... nothing unusual there.

2. Lyshen macrumors 6502

The left side is where the hard drive is located... almost right below your wrist. Its the Laptop Casing edge > hard drive > battery. The heat is normal, especially if you use the hard drive a lot.

Btw, I don't know if this applies to everyone, but when I opened mine up, I noticed they covered up the hard drive hole (thing that says do not cover), maybe by accident with the hard drive cable. Not a big deal to me since when I installed the new drive, just repositioned it away so it will not obstruct the hole.

And yes, the fans do spin on the lower side when nothing is going on... on the bright side it stays rather quiet. :)

3. DocSmitty macrumors regular

I have the stock 2.5 model and I have not had any heat issues at all.. using it on my bare knees right now, and there is no warmth from the wrist rests. What would you suggest trying to make the laptop work a little?

4. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

A little offtopic, but do you know what the hell that hole is supposed to do?!

5. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Work a little? Play a game, WoW (they have trial period). Could let it idle in the game, it'll work the GPU and CPU (Although it'll work the GPU more than the CPU). Otherwise could compress a decently big video, that'll work the CPUs and hard drive.

6. Lyshen macrumors 6502

That hole is for maintaining pressure. What I mean is, to equalize air pressure.

7. DocSmitty macrumors regular

Hehehe.. I am well familiar with WoW. Trying to keep it off this laptop for now. Too much of an addiction ;) Probably load up a DVD movie and some quicktime or flash video at the same time and see what happens.

8. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Haha, I am tinkering with WoW. Only played it for maybe 1-2 weeks now. Not finding it that addicting, just something fun to toy with once in a while.

Yeah I think a DVD + other video stuff at same time would be a decent amount of work for the laptop.

9. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Ingenious. Thanks, always wondered that.