Heat Stress Test

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mac2x, Apr 26, 2010.

1. mac2x macrumors 65816

So as not to derail the 100 C thread, I decided to make a new thread. This Apple discussion board topic was linked to that outlines several methods to peg the CPU.

In Terminal:

Code:
    $ yes > /dev/null
    (Repeat to start a second identical process)

Code:
    $ echo 'scale=10000;4*a(1);' |time bc -l -q &
    (Again, repeat to start another process. This calculates the value of pi to 10,000 decimal places)

Code:
    $ openssl speed &
    (You know what to do ;) ; this does openssl speed calculations)

Just quit terminal to kill these processes.

The first one barely made my MBP 5,1 break a sweat (relatively speaking!). CPU temp peaked at around 85 C with the fans remaining as per my SMC fan control settings at ~4300 rpm. The pi calculation was considerable more intensive, with the core temp reaching 95 C before the fans ramped up to full blast. Openssl behaved pretty much the same.

How does this work on the 2010 MBPs? Thanks!! :)

2. a4209797 macrumors member

None of these tests are multi-threadded. Best use a proper benchmarking tool to tax all cores and threads.

3. myhorsebelinda macrumors newbie

Where would I find a 'proper benchmarking tool'? I'm looking for something that would repeatedly tax the CPU and the GPU to get everything heated up. I'm having a issue where it seems my iMac isn't cooling the GPU down enough and then I get lines across my screen until it cools off, but I want to be sure it's related to heat before bringing it in. :)

I have looked and looked and still can't find a good stress testing app that puts everything, GPU, multi thread CPU, etc, under stress. Thanks for any help ;)