heat warped battery??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joof13, Nov 13, 2008.

1. joof13 macrumors newbie

hello everyone,

i am incredibly perturbed, as i take impeccable care of my 15" MBP, and noticed only moments ago that there is some inward buckling on the battery panel. i have never dropped it nor have i set it on anything that would have caused such damage. i have had the computer since may 2008 and have already had the fan turn on a couple of times due to overheating, which i thought rather unusual considering the age, but didn't think too much else of it.

has anyone else had this problem? could the panel be warped from overheating? would apple care cover it?

any advice you have would be much appreciated!

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

First, its normal for the fans to come "on" (I assume you mean speed up because they are always going to be on).

Second, do you tend to carry your MBP in a bag with a lot of heavy books? The older MBPs are notorious for not handling being squeezed like that (regardless of if you have it in a sleeve or not).

A picture would help as far as figuring out if Apple will help you.

3. joof13 thread starter macrumors newbie

i do carry it in a timbuk2 messenger bag (in a sleeve), but not with heavy books. i will post photos of my own computer as soon as i can, but for now the best description i can provide is the following:

the smaller top panel covering the battery is hot to the touch and has warped in the middle near the larger panel such that it is no longer flush with the larger panel. it appears to have merely 'buckled', as there is no other evidence of harsh denting or other signs pointing to damage that i have caused.

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Well, if you're describing what I think you are, that smaller panel is not the battery, but the flap covering the RAM. I just touched it myself on my MBP and it is fairly hot so that's probably normal.

That being said, the warping does seem odd. Couldn't hurt to remove the panel (as if you were swapping out the RAM) and seeing what the inside of the panel looks like if you're worried that it was heat damage.