Heat while macbook is sleeping

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ohemgeemad, Dec 4, 2011.

1. ohemgeemad macrumors newbie

When the macbook pro is sleeping, does it still generate heat? I left my sleeping computer in its case for a whole day and now I noticed the bottom of my laptop is more heated on one side than the other. I'm worried the lack of ventilation could cause it to overheat or something.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. ohemgeemad thread starter macrumors newbie

Are there any cases in which the macbook pro will automatically wake from sleep while the lid is closed? For example, if you walk in to a building with wifi?

----------

Also... the my computer and the case was in my zipped up backpack. So I don't believe there was any ventilation at all.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it won't wake simply at the presence of a WiFi network. Read the links I provided about the possible causes for waking from sleep. Also, use iStat Pro to give you accurate readings of your temps. Just saying it was warm isn't very specific. After it's been in sleep mode a while, open it at check your temps.

5. ohemgeemad thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! If it doesn't generate heat, then it doesn't need much ventilation?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't need any ventilation in sleep mode.

7. Janika macrumors newbie

Make sure you don't close the lid too soon when putting it into sleep mode. It is obvious that it didnt go into sleep mode or came out for some reason.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's no such thing as "closing the lid too soon" unless you're slamming it hard enough to damage something. How quickly or slowly you close the lid has no bearing on whether it enters or stays in sleep mode.