Heat

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Graeme43, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

Hey I think my macbook is running rather hot lately as I have the fan set at 6200(max) and it seems to idle at 50C and I had skype running with a few people and it was reaching 80C! It never used to get that high before! It is a Dec31st 06 (lol 1 day from 07) model and I do have the ability to open these models and apply the thermal paste again as I have done plenty times before and also fit Mac Pro serviceable options such as BT and AP

I know how to open it and clean it but theres no dust in it to make it that hot :( I might have to try max load and see if it overheats :confused:

2. unixperience macrumors regular

Well I can't explain the high idle temp. But skype for mac has problems, jsut take a look at the activity monitor while videochatting, I've seen it go 99% sometimes. theres a few fixes including editing the skype config file in order to lower the resolution and/or frame rate

3. Graeme43 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

I always have activity monitor set to look at cpu usage in the dock and it still seems higher than usual when basically no usage :confused: