Heat

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kjmff5, May 24, 2012.

1. kjmff5 macrumors regular

How safe is it to play a game(Portal 2) with a early 2011 13" MBP i5 in clamshell mode? Per iStat, my CPU temp can range from 75-90 C, mostly staying in the mid to upper 80s, fans at 6200RPM(all while playing the game). I am only playing for half an hour or so.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Unless your computer shuts down there is nothing to worry about.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

As long as it doesn't go over 90C I wouldn't worry.
    Critical is >100 where it will shut down soon.
    90C is still in the yellow.

4. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

The processor is rated for 100C. It will throttle and shut down if it overheats. Unless that happens, everything is fine.

5. jamone13 macrumors regular

While it won't hurt it temp wise, I've found I get better FPS if I don't keep my mac in clamshell mode. This allows it to cool slightly better and the CPU/GPU can then not throttle themselves as much/any.

6. Coldmode macrumors regular

I've played many many hours of games on a Windows install on my 2009 15" MBP in clamshell and have never had any issue. The only thing I've noticed is that over time the keys have become more....well, "seasoned" is the only way I could describe it. Though it could just have to do with normal wear, they don't feel like keys on other peoples computers; I suppose this is because they've "cooked" at 85-90C for a few hundred hours. Fortunately, I like the way they feel and can't stand using other peoples' machines. So, while gaming in clamshell will have absolutely no effect on your internal hardware, it could have a peripheral effect on your keys.

7. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

If it needs a look out, it will shut down itself.