heating issue (174F while just surfing web, playing itunes, and ichat)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jus407, Jun 18, 2008.

1. jus407 macrumors member

i have ichat adium mail safari and itunes open only surfing web and playing music other programs are idle and it made my mbp's temp rise upto 174degrees f... is that normal?

i dont want this thing breaking on me its almost brand new, (latest generation 4,1)

is that a sign somehting might be wrong?

i took a screen shot of istat menu that showed it as being 174 to show an apple person if needed

2. operator207 macrumors 6502

I am thinking you have some program in the background, or maybe one of the programs you mentioned eating 100% of the CPU.

Open Activity Monitor (HDD/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app)
    and see if anything is taking up lots of CPU.

At that temp, your fans should be really spinning. Does IStat say your fans are running fast? (how fast?)

To give yu an idea, I have Safari open, and a few other applications including VMware Fusion running XP pro (running outlook 2003 checking mail for work), and I am 115F.

3. eyespii macrumors 6502

sounds a little bit high - what kind of surface are you using it on? also, how hot is it in the room?

im on a penryn mbp running safari, ichat, itunes, word, mail, jungledisk, and VMWare. CPU usage is averaging around 20-25% (cause of itunes). my cpu temp says im running at 50C, or about 122F.

my fans dont really start spinning up until it hits over 75C sometimes (like if im ripping a DVD). i use smcfancontrol to jack the fans up a bit to keep my cpu temps down.