Heating on new 15" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by glac611, Jun 30, 2013.

1. glac611 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just got my 15" MBP in the post on Friday.
    I was using it for around 1.5 hours with a few displays open (cause I'm a newbie to the MBP I wanted to make a window for every app... i.e. a window for Skype, FaceTime etc etc).

To my knowledge I don't know many MBPs that heat up so much that it's burning my hand when I rest it on the MBP.

Also, I decide to keep the workload to a minimum to avoid some of this heat issue, however if I do only ONE thing with everything else closed completely, i.e. I was talking to my friend on FaceTime OR I was installing a game.

I am scared of playing the game I had installed as well cause the MBP will overheat...

The temperature is considerably high still...

My MBP is only 3 days old now and it's starting to worry me that it heats up so much so quickly.

Any help is appreciated! :)

2. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

hmmm, not common issues with this case.
    I'm using macbook with many window open, like skype, youtube, twitter, website, office application, dreamweaver and xampp. and temperature is normal, never overheat.

so, please cek your macbook fan. have a fan normal rotate? have a fan air flow is normal?

3. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

4. glac611 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know how to check the fan... I did download something to alter the fan speed etc. The app should automatically adjust the fan speed depending on usage and the need to keep the macbook cool, however it just keeps it on "high" (which is 6000ish rpm)

I'm located in HK, but I'm normally in the UK. I bought my macbook here in HK though.

5. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Download iStat Pro, and smcFanControl to monitor your MBP stats and check your fans etc...

Thank. Me. Later. :D

6. glac611 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't download iStat Pro, I read somewhere it was good... But I can't download it, the developer website doesn't seem to exist anymore either?

I have something called iStat Menu though, but I don't want to keep using it as I have to pay $9 after 14 weeks... :(

But surely I shouldn't need to download something like this within a day of opening my MBP right?

7. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

Try Temperature Monitor then.

smcFanControl will report the speed of your fans and allow you to adjust them.

With these you can report what is going on in measurements that everyone understands. Also take a look at Activity Monitor to see if anything is hogging CPU cycles.

8. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/20364/istat-pro

It's free. Quite whining and whinging. You've been in the UK too long. LOL :p

9. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

10. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Oh, LOL. Time MacNotUptodate sort their **** out

11. glac611 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool I'll try this out :) thanks! :)

Thing is, I'm trying to pin point reasons why my MBP is heating up... So right now I'm not doing anything apart from using Safari and FaceTime, if I load anything else the temperature of my MBP will shoot up to around 60 odd C ...

Even when playing League of Legends JUST League of Legends my MBP will heat up considerable and I'm only operating 1 program... This is really strange my friends MBP (which is also a 15" MBP) does not heat up as fast as mine... And he's had it a lot longer than I have! :(

12. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

60C isn't bad at all when you're working the CPU. Mine generally stays below 40C when I'm just surfing the web (with Flash Block), but I never have mine on my lap when I'm trans-coding video (it'll shoot up to 90C fairly quickly when you're running the CPU at full bore). The aluminum case is supposed to help dissipate heat, so it does feel hot to the touch. That's normal.

Another thing that might help you is gfxCardStatus. When you're not gaming, you might find that the integrated GPU is adequate for most everything else. It runs cooler and gfxCardStatus will enable you to choose which GPU is used.

I have never played League of Legends and I do not know anything about the demands made on a Mac running this game. To get better feedback, post your temps while playing this game and let other gamers tell you whether or not these temps are cause for concern.

13. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

One more thing: smcFanControl is safe to use. It will never allow you to operate the fans at a lower speed than Apple's presets--Only higher. I like to kick my fans up just *before* doing processor intensive tasks. It seems to lower the peak temperature by several degrees as opposed to waiting for feedback from the thermal sensors. Just remember to drop them back down when you're finished to avoid unnecessary wear on the fan motors.