heating/video = getting rid of an older 15" MBPro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by williemyers, Aug 9, 2011.

1. williemyers macrumors newbie

h'lo all,
    my apologies in advance, I'm *SURE* this has been covered - probably in detail - but search revealed too many results, so here goes...

I've got a refurbded early '06, 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo MBPro, 2GB RAM. It's given a couple of years great service, but lately it's started to "auto-shutdown". Seems all heat/video related. I'm using MenuMeters to monitor cpu's and SMC to monitor/regulate fans. Normally, it'll run between 40C-60C with both fans running about 1500 rpm. Life's good.
    But when I run, say, a YouTube video, or today Adobe Bridge photo browser - anything that will cause the CPU's to run up to 100%, it'll start moving up in temp quickly to 85-95 and it usually gets too high before fans kick up to 6000+ and when it hits about 105C, it shuts down the MBPro. Sometimes i can catch it in the mid-80's and manually kick up the fans, but usually it runs up and shuts down too quickly for me to catch it. Come to think of it, it's not just video, but anything that CPU intensive. Last week I was trying to install 10.6.8 upgrade and it shutdown before finishing the install. Took 3 tries.
    So, I guess where I am is that; am I just asking too much of this 2.16Ghz Core Duo and time for a new MBPro? Would sure like to wring a few more months out of it before going Lion, any suggestions?
    many thanks

2. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

Have you tried cleaning it up? I have a mid 2009 MBP, I upgraded my memory from 4 GB to 8 GB. When I opened the case, it was dusty, so I cleaned the fan, heatsink, and airducts with compressed air. According to SMC, was 3000 rpm at 140F when it ran 4 tabs in Firefox, now its 109F at 2000 rpm at the same baseline.

Try cleaning out the case