Heatsink for dual 533 G4 cpu board- can't find

XaPHER

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere to be found
The dual config 533Mhz 7410 daughtercard that shipped with the Digital Audio. I ordered one a couple months ago as I don't see these available often and at reasonable costs. Since it's the holy grail of the 4-stage pipeline powerpc processors (no offense to the 750GX) I thought it would be nice to swap with the 466mhz daughterboard in my digital audio (maybe I'll swap it with one of the upgrades in my quicksilvers, I'll see later). I made a small omission, though.

The pre-quicksilver models all have different heatsinks. A QS heatsink doesn't fit at all, and the stock heatsink for the 466mhz module doesn't cover both dies. I can't seem to find an easy solution to this as I do not find any appropriate heatsink. Perhaps a gigabit ethernet dual model heatsink would fit, but I haven't seen one in the three months that passed since receiving the board.

The clips that squeeze the HS and the board together are a roadblocker to any simple mod, also.

So if there's anything I missed, I'd like to know.

Thanks

Last edited:

bunnspecial

macrumors 604
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Unfortunately, you may be stick on this.

I have a dual 533, although I've never checked a GigE heatsink on it.

Bear in mind, though, that the dual 533 and all of the faster DAs have a fan integrated in the processor assembly and also have plastic cap to help direct the air flow. Apple clearly felt this was necessary, as they continued using the fan behind the CPU on all models of QS(including the 733, which incidentally is the slowest QS and fastest DA, although the DA is still faster thanks to its L3).

The dual 533 is rare in its own right and I'm not sure if I've ever seen a heatsink for sale. Unfortunately, I'd consider the dual useless unless it comes with a complete heatsink assembly.

XaPHER

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere to be found
The dual 533 is rare in its own right and I'm not sure if I've ever seen a heatsink for sale. Unfortunately, I'd consider the dual useless unless it comes with a complete heatsink assembly.
The fan assembly by itself isn't that worrying; I've often adapted ducts and fans on heatsinks for tests. Still, if I have no heatsink for doing this, it's a lost cause..

Does a dual 7410 dissipate that much by the way? Of course since it's a dual config powersave-nap is always disabled, but it should be below 25 watts overall. I can understand for most 7450 configs cpu fans are mandatory, though.

XaPHER

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere to be found
Managed to get a dual 533 heatsink.

After installing it inside my quicksilver, first thing I notice is how this CPU board runs ridiculously cool even under CPU load and with no fan yet. I can't even manage to get the heatsink hot. I'll still consider adding one. I'm posting using the machine right now.

Attachments

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Managed to get a dual 533 heatsink.

After installing it inside my quicksilver, first thing I notice is how this CPU board runs ridiculously cool even under CPU load and with no fan yet. I can't even manage to get the heatsink hot. I'll still consider adding one. I'm posting using the machine right now.
that's interesting, the (2.1) in system profiler is not something id expect from a 7410 CPU, id expect 11.3 or 11.4, but I notice you have it installed in a QuickSilver so maybe that has something to do with it

could you boot into OpenFirmware type

dev /cpus/PowerPC,G4 .properties

and post the output (if that does not work, try PowerPC,G4@0 or @1)

and if possible also post a picture of CPUs in questions (ie of the markings on the die)

XaPHER

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere to be found
cpu-version is $8001 0201. That should indeed be something like 800C 1100. Odd. It may not be now but I'll take note of the what's on the die next time I pull out the board. I previously had a Newertech 7447A 1.6g upgrade inside this QS (which requires firmware flashing for 7447+ support) and I tried without the patch and same result. So it seems like this inconsistency relates to the QS being given a 7410. That raises a few questions about how the bootROM handles the PVR value.

It's funny though the fact both 7410 together dissipate that much less than my 7447A upgrade.

Reactions: LightBulbFun

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
very interesting, indeed the firmware is saying/reporting the CPUs as 7445/7455s for some reason

what does CHUD tools. CPU preference pane report? (its clear that they are 7400 or 7410s going by the 1MB of L2, well they could be 7448s but I highly doubt that LOL!)

im not surprised it runs much cooler, the 7410s have a much lower TDP, about 15W per Chip IIRC vs about 30W Per chip of the 7447A :)

@bunnspecial I know somewhere you have a Quicksilver with a 466Mhz 7400 or 7410 CPU in it, im curious what does that report back as in System profiler and or OpenFirmware? (I think all 466 DA CPUs are 7400s)

Reactions: XaPHER

bunnspecial

macrumors 604
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
@bunnspecial I know somewhere you have a Quicksilver with a 466Mhz 7400 or 7410 CPU in it, im curious what does that report back as in System profiler and or OpenFirmware? (I think all 466 DA CPUs are 7400s)
That one was hacked together in about 10 minutes as a patch to get the NMR going. Unfortunately, it's long dead...a Sawtooth has been in its place for probably better than a year now.

I'll have to look around and see if I have a 466 around here somewhere that I can throw in a Quicksilver. I probably do, but don't know if I can put my finger on it at the moment. I can probably borrow the 466 processor from the Quicksilver at work, especially since AFAIK the CPU wasn't the issue in that computer.

Reactions: LightBulbFun

XaPHER

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere to be found
very interesting, indeed the firmware is saying/reporting the CPUs as 7445/7455s for some reason

what does CHUD tools. CPU preference pane report? (its clear that they are 7400 or 7410s going by the 1MB of L2, well they could be 7448s but I highly doubt that LOL!)

im not surprised it runs much cooler, the 7410s have a much lower TDP, about 15W per Chip IIRC vs about 30W Per chip of the 7447A :)

CHUD reports exactly the same, though the kext from 3.5.2 isn't working on leopard. I don't expect chud to feed on information from outside the OF device tree, but who knows. May aswell install 4.7.0 since for a while I've been enabling nap via kernel boot arguments.

I can't confirm this but I think 466 cards shipped with whatever chip they had, 7400 or 7410, since they did exactly the same job(no PVR debate intended). A bit like how some cards shipped with IBM G4 parts? Well I have lots of quicksilver cards but only 3 from earlier machines so I'm probably right and wrong at the same time.