Heavenly Sword ? Did you buy it ?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MRU, Sep 12, 2007.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So as titles says. Did you get it?

I said I wasn't going to get it, but my order from BlahDVD shipped (alongside Super Paper Mario) anyway so I guess it will be here for friday.

I really hope it's better than the demo. 7 hours is a bit short, but heck at least I have some chance of finishing a game for a change ;)

So if you got it - post back your thoughts. Is this the best game on the PS3 right now? or does Super Stardust HD still come out on top ;)

(oh and i'll probably end up getting Halo3, (another game I thought I'd miss) Noticed Gamestop are offering a trade ay two 360 games and get Halo3 for €1)

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I have yet to buy a PS3 but Warhawk looks like a game I'd enjoy more than HS.

3. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Warhawk is awesome, and is a lot better than Stardust imho ;)

I was gonna get HS but unfortunately I had to cancel my pre-order because school fee's were a lot more than I thought they would be :( And I wanna get halo 3 this month so.... But I will be getting HS at some point despite the lukewarm reviews I find the style and story and presentation awesome and I did enjoy the gameplay (even though it is supposed to be repetitive)

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Mines was paid for from July.....All I need to do is pick it up tomorrow and I'll be twing twaning and feeling good about it:D
    I'll never finish this game within 7-8 hours so thats not a factor for me...GOW was 7 hours and it took me two weeks to finish it up.

I'll pop a mini review tomorrow.....which I know will be great.

Note: warhawk has the top spot my friend....
    2nd note: what lukewarn review SK?....the thing got good reviews not luke...maybe its just me but I consider 8.0 a good score but oh well I'm old school.

Bless

5. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Lukewarm, perhaps to people's expectations, the PS3's desperate need for a A+ title, value for the dollar? *shrugs*

A lot of the reviews seem to emphasize the game's lack of value/short length, which I think bothers some more than others.

Penny Arcade says it best: "Heavenly Sword is, as you will soon discover, the very definition of a rental title."

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed most of the reviews said it was somewhere between 7-8 hours but what game isn't these days....also the reviews also noted the story and direction is deep which is worth the price of admission in my books and the reviewers.

The frist year is almost done for the PS3 and they already have RFoM, HS, Warhawk, motorstrom under the belt and I think thats a good frist year.

I'll check it out tomorrow for myself anyway and if it sucks I'll let you know....

Bless

7. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I currently have Heavenly Sword and The Orange Box on pre-order from DVDBoxOffice. Hopefully HS ships soon.

8. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

My copy arrived just now, will have a go on it after I've done some of that horrid four letter word..... 'work' ;):D

9. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Picked up a copy tonight, but it is still sitting in the bag as I find myself back at work until about 3.00a.:(

I hope to get a chance to play tomorrow...but more likely Sunday.

10. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

The game is very repetitive, but that's hardly a surprise.

It does look good, but the lack of proper camera control irks me, it's like we have created a lovely world but you can only see it from this angle.

And the arrow shooting sections are so dull....

I'm sorry but I'm so bored of the shoot the arrow and guide it routine. The first 10 times was great. The 150th time and if I have to fire another arrow I'm going to scream. It just feels disjointed.

Guess I'm about 4 hours in. Will probably finish this today, ready to trade in by next week. Not a keeper for me.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Anyone seen the advert for this yet? *shudders, in the bad way* It was on during the break for the IT Crowd, just after an iPod Nano one.

¨AI only capable on BluRay¨ :confused::confused::confused:

12. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

OK finished! Yep it is short. Took me just over 6 hours I'd say.

Tbh, you dont even have to bother learning all the moves as long as you learn a main combo attack and learn when to press the defense button the battles all pretty much play much of a much ness.

Some of the later levels are 'epic' in scale, but still feel no different to earlier skirmishes.

Oh and add cannon shooting to the repetitious part of the game (alongside the arrow shooting).

It's a good game, but I wish I had hired rather than bought. Certainly not the 'masterpiece' Sony would have us believe, but we knew that anyway.

I'm sure there's a more deeper fighting mechanic and you could probably stretch out the game another hour or two by turning up the difficulty, but that's not really giving you any 'extra' game, it's just toning down your chances.

It's just that after finishing it, I can't be bothered to spend anymore time on it. GOD of WAR 2, is an infinitely better game on nearly all levels.

13. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

That sucks, man. I wonder if you can resell it quick and get some loot back for Assassin's Creed or whatever the heck is coming out for the PS3 this year.

14. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah I should be able to get a good trade in, just have to wait for somthing to buy. Probably trade it in for a 'retail' copy of Warhawk instead.

But don't be diseheartened. I'm sure others will adore the game. The cutscenes are well done (if not real time) and the story as a whole works very well. The graphics are very good on the whole. (but if 1 cell is powering her hair like we were told in earlier previews, then it was an utter waste of a cell, becuase it still has all the fluidty of half boiled spaghetti)

Just the gameplay for me didn't rock my socks - just thought it was ok not great.
    On the brightside it's the first PS3 game I've played to 'completion', and at least its a better game than 'GENJI'.

15. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I'm about 3 hours in....so half way through the game (ouch) and I'm enjoying it so far. The story is interesting (though her accent is a touch annoying... doesn't sound right for some reason) and the cut scenes are very well done, the one entitled "Generals" is actually quite funny and Bohan is probably the most detailed character graphically I have seen.

The gameplay is fun since I like the combo system (a bit repetive but so was GoW) but the game gives you too little incentive to USE it properly. I think that the baddies take too long to kill as well, if you don't stab them when they are down you can do at least 3 combo strings to them before the die which simply draws out the 'arena' battles. Its unfortunate that the designers couldn't figure out how to punish button mashers since you can just do that and for the most part be totally fine.

The button action sequences are good in parts (like when Nariko climbs the fortress walls) but is downright annoying in others (some boss fights) since it is very punishing and basically comes down to memorization.

Kai sucks, period. The aftertouch repeated 1000 times is a pain and one particular point made me wanna throw the controller.

Screen-tear is still a bit of an issue, as is slow down like MRU noted is as well. Overall though the game is damn pretty, I love the bright environments and colours. There was one point where I was fighting in the shade of a tree with the bright sun on the stone around it and it looked really cool, almost movie-esc (it's a little hard to describe).

I'm happy I got it, i just wish some of the gameplay issues had been addressed, I don't know why they weren't?! Where the hell are testers with Sony games lately? Sleeping? This doesn't bode well for Uncharted :p

The dev said that if the game does well they may create some dlc chapters or something to add on which would be really cool.

just my 2 cents.

edit: actually Kai isn't so bad now that I finished her section completely. The first bit was awful but doing some of the other parts with her were quite enjoyable. It was still damn nice to get back to kicking ass as Nariko though :p I gave it a break since I don't wanna beat it in one day.... time to kick 2ny's ass at Warhawk again

16. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I beat Heavenly Sword last night, and I loved it. The game is very cinematic, the graphics are beautiful (though the framerate gets choppy now and then), the voiceovers are well done, the combat system is a lot of fun, and I even started to love the aftertouch system after I got used to it. My only real complaint about the game is that it's too short.

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

This game was a blast....I finished it last night (7-8 hours) and it was very good right down to the end....wished it lasted longer but thats as long as these type of games last for anyway.

Th graphics are best I've seen so far and I enjoyed Kai twing twanging section....good job team ninja.

When I play these type of game I usually scream at the TV for getting my arse kicked by 20 or so men and its no surprise here.

The story is top notch here.....really bringing the entertainment into video games...good job once again and heres hoping for a HS2.

One problem I had is with the motion controls responding when I shake it to juggle the bad guys in the air....I mostly couldn't pull them off.

This game was worth the purchase and I recommend anyone with a PS3 to check it out.

Bless

18. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

+1 most sensible/realistic/non biased review on MR yet...

Ed

19. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

What, are you insinuating that the other reviews in this thread are less valid? :confused:

20. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

+1 for having an opinion that matches my own ;)

21. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

22. spawn135 macrumors newbie

heavenly sword 2

the game plays like a movie...very cinematic. Too bad it's such a short game.

I also just read that they are planning a sequel already. They even have plans to make it a trilogy.

23. risc macrumors 68030

risc

7 hours that's at least 3 times longer than most of the games I played on the Sega Megadrive (Genesis) & Nintendo SNES (oh and the 8 bits) back in the day. ;)

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

...And half the time of Half Life 2, Metroid Prime, Halo... Remember the outcrys of Episode 1 being too short when that was 8 hours :(

Has it at least got online multiplayer or some length-redeeming feature?

25. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

:eek:

:eek:

(Just thought I'd throw in some completely unnecessary smut. Good, carry on!)

I'd think a sequel is a given. Maybe even a trilogy, since that seems to be the 'Soup of the Day' at the moment.

Plus, it's great to see that there are still some people out there who are confident enough to release a 'short' game, instead of a completely unnecessary, artificially overlong tedium.