Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
I don't doubt these are more elegant than the Office suite.

But I have multiple versions of Adobe InDesign between work and home. Pages seems very limited to me and actually more like Microsoft Publisher. QuarkXPress is better as well. And Affinity has released Affinity Publisher to beta (finally).

Of course, these may be overpriced and overqualified for what you're doing. But I'm a Graphic Designer by trade so I tend to use these tools.

Quark: yes. no substitute. i agree.

Reactions: eyoungren

JGWolven

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2013
I had every iPhone and iPad up until the 6 before I had switched to the Note series and the transition was just fine. I appreciated Android and each version impressed me more and more with how much more refined it was getting.

The iPhone X ended up drawing me back in. I don’t miss Android and I would say iOS does feel more “polished”.

In any case, if you’ve got the itch to jump ship I say do it! You’re not obligated to stay and it’s easy to jump back to iOS if it just makes you miserable.

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
I've been thinking about returning the Max and getting a Note 9, BUT I have an Apple TV and Series 4 Watch. I don't think you can use an Android phone as a remote for the Apple TV and haven't found a way to pair and use an Apple Watch with Android. Also, everyone I know is on iMessage.

I wish I could have widgets on my Max's home screen AND arrange apps. around the widget(s). They way iOS's home screen works feels so outdated.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I tried, it was miserable. I got the LG G7 ThinQ, thinking that it will be a better phone than the X. I was wrong...

First, I miss iMessage.

Second, Android is not as fluent and as fluid as even iOS11, iOS 12 simply blow the X out of water.

Third, the Apps...really not as high quality as most iOS app...

Fourth, I couldn’t connect with my iPad, MacBook Pro, iMac anymore. I feel disconnected.

Fifth, no iCloud. I miss it. Yeah, as much as I love Google Drive’s flexibility, after using the LG G7, I realized that iCloud is still better.

So I attempted, I failed...ok....I am happy with my Xs Max now, though I am not too happy with the receptiongate and chargegate issues ...but overall the phone experience is still superior over the LG G7.

I know I’d be miserable and regret it if I switched away. It’s really about the ecosystem for me and stuff like iCloud. I’ve also become so used to the iPhone again I see little point in going through the hassle of changing when I don’t really have any issues with the iPhone. I’d be switching to the note for a few features that I might not even use after the novelty wore off. I have too many Apple products (2 x iPad, MacBook, 2x Apple TV, Apple Watch, airpods, 2 x HomePods) to really gain anything from switching. In the end I’d just loose out on the integration. The note 9 is very tempting though.

I’m not that good at changing things in general. The only reason why I ended up switching from iPhone to android in the past was because my iPhone was stolen otherwise I would have stayed with the iPhone. Even when I switched back to the iPhone from Samsung it took over a year for me to actually make the switch and stick to it.
[doublepost=1538991249][/doublepost]
Thanks. Yeah, I feel like now I'm stuck unless Apple really drops the ball at some point. I like the XS Max but feels a bit heavy. Might just take some getting used to. Also got slightly jealous of my coworker bringing in his Note 9 (I had a note 3 before). But I always hated the unpolished...disconnected feeling of Android (and I used Cyanogen mod a lot back in the day).
I don’t have any issues with android as an OS. I prefer iOS but android is fine. My problem was just as you said. It feels disconnected even when you own say a Samsung phone, Samsung tablet and a chromecast. They don’t even work that well together like Apple’s devices do.
[doublepost=1538991432][/doublepost]
I've been thinking about returning the Max and getting a Note 9, BUT I have an Apple TV and Series 4 Watch. I don't think you can use an Android phone as a remote for the Apple TV and haven't found a way to pair and use an Apple Watch with Android. Also, everyone I know is on iMessage.

I wish I could have widgets on my Max's home screen AND arrange apps. around the widget(s). They way iOS's home screen works feels so outdated.
Changes to the home screen layout might be coming to iOS 13. It was rumoured for ios 12 but then reportedly Apple decided to reduce the number of new features and focus on stability.

As for a remote the P20 Pro has an ir blaster that works as a universal remote control. I’ve never used it before so can’t say if it would work with the Apple TV. Although I’ve used older Samsung phones that had IR blasters and they could control the Apple TV 3 I was using at the time.

I think there are some work arounds to get the Apple Watch to work with an android phone but it has to be paired with an iPhone first and it’s quite limited so it’s not really worth it IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Synomenon

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Not something I could do

For me I could never give up Apple Watch connection to that and it works great with my iPad.

IOS just works too well to go back android. Most who switch come back as they don’t give themselves enough time to adjust.

Reactions: 212rikanmofo

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I've run a hybrid setup for years. Windows desktop PC at home, MBP for work, iPad as tablet, Android phone. Now I replaced the Android phone with the iPhone XS.

There is no problem as long as you use cross-platform compatible apps. Passwords are handled by 1Password while for cloud storage I've used Dropbox. For email and notes GMail and Google Keep have served me well. Nobody gives a damn about iMessage in my country so that's a non issue. I use WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger for IM. FB Messenger only because I can send cute stickers to my gf.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
If you rely heavily on iCloud and Handoff/Continuity, iMessages...you would really feel the effect, and it would not be pleasant at all.

If you are using your iPhone just simply as phone, you wouldn't have any problems, aside from initial adaptation/learning of Android functions and UI.

IMHO, owning Android phone while all your other devices are Apple, is pointless, and is just ruining the perfect synchrony of the iDevices in the Apple ecosystem.

Last edited:

Eagle1337

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2017
Denmark
Currently have the XS Max and thinking about returning it (either for the XS or Galaxy Note 9). I want the Apple Watch S4 but would be giving that up with the Note 9.

Has anyone else here gotten rid of your iPhone but had all other products Apple? Currently have the iPad (2017), Macbook Pro 15'' (2018), Airpods and Apple TV.

I didnt have lots of apple stuff but i had been with iPhone for 8 years when i switched to Android last year. I found it very hard to adopt to Android, its very scattered compared to ios. i was happy to retun to ios this year with the Xs Max.

So - i learned that ios is extremely lean compared to Android, and now that i have tried both, i prefer ios to android. However the hardware was nice with the android, no doubt about it. But i had a hard time dealing with Android.

Just to share my experience with switching ecosystem with just a phone. I would assume that it would be much harder if you have several other devices on the same ecosystem.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Ugh, one thing that keeps getting harder and harder for me to ignore is Google’s dicey ethics. It hit me again smack in the face as I visited the front page of this forum and saw yet another reminder they aren’t content with the data we willingly surrender in exchange for their free and useful services, but they take it by force and stealth when we do not consent or even have the opportunity to do so. Unfortunately Android is their product and their services appear to be transparent in how they acquire and use our data, but more and more are proving not to be in actual practice. I’m feeling kind of salty right at the moment.

flybub

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2011
I tried, it was miserable. I got the LG G7 ThinQ, thinking that it will be a better phone than the X. I was wrong...

First, I miss iMessage.

Second, Android is not as fluent and as fluid as even iOS11, iOS 12 simply blow the X out of water.

Third, the Apps...really not as high quality as most iOS app...

Fourth, I couldn’t connect with my iPad, MacBook Pro, iMac anymore. I feel disconnected.

Fifth, no iCloud. I miss it. Yeah, as much as I love Google Drive’s flexibility, after using the LG G7, I realized that iCloud is still better.

So I attempted, I failed...ok....I am happy with my Xs Max now, though I am not too happy with the receptiongate and chargegate issues ...but overall the phone experience is still superior over the LG G7.

What are your reasons for iCloud? I'm genuinely curious because I have been in the Google environment for years now and would like to jump into the world of Apple. Do you use equivalent apps in iCloud in place of the Google Apps (Photos, Drive, Notes, etc.)? I'm due for an upgrade next month and am torn between the Xs or Note 9.

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
I've used Android phones from 2008 (T-Mobile G1, the OG Android phone) to 2014, when I made the switch to the iPhone 6. Since then, I made two attempts to switch to Android, but ended up going back to iOS within days. The first time was with the original Pixel, which lasted about 3 days, the second with the HTC U11, which lasted 5 days. After spending some time with iOS, it became clear to me that I no longer like Android.

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
What are your reasons for iCloud? I'm genuinely curious because I have been in the Google environment for years now and would like to jump into the world of Apple. Do you use equivalent apps in iCloud in place of the Google Apps (Photos, Drive, Notes, etc.)? I'm due for an upgrade next month and am torn between the Xs or Note 9.

Google Drive is no doubt more flexible. But more flexibility does not translate into more integration. iCloud wins on this.

I have iPad, MacBook Pro and iMac, seamlessly sharing my data between devices is such a convenience....Google Drive though able to perform it, but is cumbersome compare to iCloud. It is not integrated into Windows or Mac OS.

cipher29

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
For me it's all about messaging.. 98% of what I do on my phone revolves around communicating and messaging with people. I find nearly everyone I know has an iPhone (clients and friends), so things like iMessage groups, FaceTime with family etc is just so far superior to anything on Android. That alone keeps me on iOS.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Google Drive is no doubt more flexible. But more flexibility does not translate into more integration. iCloud wins on this.

I have iPad, MacBook Pro and iMac, seamlessly sharing my data between devices is such a convenience....Google Drive though able to perform it, but is cumbersome compare to iCloud. It is not integrated into Windows or Mac OS.

Just download the google drive app for Windows and you will see GDrive mapped as a drive/folder in Windows Explorer.
Same with onedrive, dropbox etc.

Not sure how much more easier you want it.

Joe h

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2017
One thing I like about iOS, you turn the phone on for the first time and have a mostly empty canvass. Going through the settings and disabling a few intrusive features is relatively easy.

Turn on an Android for the first time, and it’s insane the amount of shovel ware already preloaded. Then good luck disabling anything. At best you can maybe hide the icon.

csi24

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
Maryland
I've switched a few times. Most recently last summer. Had a 7 Plus, went to an S8+, OnePlus 5, then back to the 7 Plus.

Android as a whole is pretty nice, depending on the phone/manufacturer. I didn't even have the S8+ a whole month. Their lack of updates and their version of Android still feeling a little sluggish was too much for me to take.

If I ever went back to Android it would be to OnePlus. The 5 I had was blazing fast with its 8gb of ram. Never broke a sweat. I was thinking hard about the 6t. But then they ditched the jack. I have that situation already with the 7 Plus. And if I'm stuck using a dongle or Bluetooth headphones, it'll be on an iPhone.

So I'm back to square one, like usual. Been using an iPhone since the original and at the end of the day, nothing compares. The only other Apple device I have is a last gen iPod Classic. And I use none of Apple's services, minus Keychain. So I'm not tied to Apple like a good majority on here. But Google's services work just fine on the iPhone. So I have no real reason to switch back to Android at this time.

I had the Max, but returned it after a week because of it's many issues. My 7 Plus will get a battery replacement before the end of the year. And it'll continue to be my device of choice until it stops getting updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.