Heavy-Duty CD-Rs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Giuly, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Hi,
    I carry around some essential CDs in my car, but they corrode over time. Verbatim seems a little more resistant as generic ones, but they rust as well.

Can anyone recommend some heavy-duty CD-Rs that last a couple of years? I don't want to burn a backup every 6 month for CDs I rarely use. I remember some CD-Rs with red coating and a hammer on it, but I forget the name. Maybe someone can help out there as well.

Regards

2. BertyBoy macrumors 6502

Verbatim, for CD and DVD-R, in individual plastic sleeves, stored in a plastic lunchbox. Good for me for a few years of commuting by air.

If they're not needed for booting (you did say CD not DVD), a USB flash drive works just as well.

Or an old iPod (Classic style).

3. Giuly thread starter macrumors 68040

Giuly

It's not Iron, so they actually corrode and don't rust. Same thing however.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

It's not scratched and dirty, it's really corrosion.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Heat, particularly direct sunlight, will do that to any CD's over time. Your best bet is to try to insulate them from that heat, so BertyBoy's suggestion is a good one. Anything you can do to keep the heat down and definitely keep them out of direct sunlight will make them last longer. That said, I've always kept CD's (music) in a visor clip, and they've never given me trouble. I live in Florida too, so lots of sun and heat.

jW

5. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

worst place in the car is around the dashboard /glovebox as thats wehre the heater is in the car and where the most sunlight , always keep the cd 's in a appropriate box under the rear seats or the front seats and they are safe for years as there is not so much heat and sunlight so low down..thats where my cd changers are placed and they are there since loads of years (in different cars )and no such thing like corrosion

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

As well as the storage tips, and seconded on Verbatim, I've never had a problem with Sony CDs, although if you want the best, get genuine Taiyo-Yuden media but keep an eye out for fakes.

7. Giuly thread starter macrumors 68040

Giuly

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I keep them between the front seats in a closed compartment. Even one of those Verbartims started to slightly corrode.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

"I keep them between the front seats in a closed compartment. Even one of those Verbartims started to slightly corrode."

Just wondering -- in what part of the world do you live where weather conditions get so extreme?

I've never seen corrosion/oxidation like that on ANY CD I've burned, and I've burned thousands of them. I keep the "first burn" I ever did laying right on my desk (out in the open, not even in a jewel case), and after 8 years or so, it still mounts right up on the desktop.

I wouldn't leave CDs in a parked car for any length of time (by "length of time", I mean more than a day or two). But I have left them in the car (in a jewel case, in the shade) on hot days (here in the northeastern USA) with no damage.

If you're leaving the CDs in the car for more than 2 days at a time, I suggest you get in the habit of removing them when you don't need to have them there. Might be the only solution that works.

There are "gold-coated" CDR blanks from Verbatim (and others) that you can get. Amazon sells a 50-pack spindle for about $50 or so. Expensive, but they might last longer for you.