Heavy duty powered USB hub???

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by UltraNEO*, Jun 13, 2010.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Yeah... I'm running out of those little USB things, right now I have all my external drive connected via the various monitors and it's onboard USB hubs, however, I recently notice IF the monitors get turned off, so does the USB:mad:

Currently, My MP has two USB's at the front and another three at the rear, unfortunately two of those have been taken by iLok dongles (they don't like hubs) and using them in the front, doesn't feel very safe!!

So... What's the best heavy duty powered USB 2.0 Hub for external HD's? I've looked at various models and can't make up my mind. Thought I'd get some advice from others.

Alternatively, is there an internal USB 3.0 card for MP? if so would it be better? Does it add additional data channels?

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

there is no internal usb 3.0 what works with mac because there are no drivers, but 2.0 cards work, aslong as they are PCI-express

3. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

OK... how about external USB hubs that lasts longer than a year? All the Belkin PSU's seem to burn out after a year!! Sooo bleedin annoying! :mad::mad::mad:

4. Salavat23 macrumors 6502

There actually are USB 3 cards that work in the Mac Pro, but only when running Windows.

5. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

of course, a mac pro booting windows is a PC, but it's irrelevant as OP did not mention specifically windows only-use

6. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Thanks... I have a dedicated PC for windows. The requirement is for Mac only.