Heavy Expose and Spaces user - will Lion change my workflow?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by 617arg, Oct 19, 2011.

1. 617arg macrumors 6502

Hello,

I tend to use, and rely on, Expose and Spaces a lot for my day to day work. I have 6 spaces set up, each representing a specific type of task, with multiple windows in each space which Expose helps me navigate.

My question is: Will Lion affect my workflow? Does Mission Control take over the tasks of both Expose and Spaces, or is it something that is in addition to them? Would I still be able to set up Ctrl-Arrow to navigate between Spaces, and program my mouse to set a button to Expose, or do I have to do everything through Mission Control?

Thanks.

2. hinkamp macrumors newbie

It's a bit different in Lion. You can set "desktops" and use the ctrl-arrow (left and right) to switch between different desktops. ctrl-up gives you mission control (all open windows organized by application plus your different desktops). ctrl-down gives you the application expose (just the windows for the application you are currently using).

Lots of people seem bothered by it, but I find that it is not that difficult to adjust to. Sure it is a little annoying, but not a deal breaker. I suggest going to a store and playing around with it or finding some youtube videos on it before you upgrade.

3. haravikk macrumors 65816

Yes, definitely. Is that a bad thing? Only you can say! Using Mission Control is certainly different, and it'll take a little while to get used to, however I personally prefer it, and think it's an improvement overall.

The only thing I didn't like was Dashboard becoming a Space/Desktop by default, but you can turn that off (I mean, part of the appeal is opening them over something, like values you need for calculator for example). While there are niggles some strongly dislike, I find it makes Spaces a lot more accessible and usable, but not everybody works the same way!

4. WSR macrumors regular

Spaces and Expose is downgraded in Lion, and this is a major reason I have not gone to Lion.

I couple of missing features from SL not in Lion.

Spaces:
    You can't assign apps to a space. In SL I have Safari, Itunes, and Entourage open up automatically in spaces 2,3 and 9 respectively. Thus, when I boot my IMac, I just start all 3 at the same time, and they will go to their assigned space on their own.

I think in Lion 10.7.2, it's still harder to move a windows between spaces. In SL it is easy.

In lion you can't set a default number of spaces. I think Lion always boots with only 1 space.

Expose:
    In Lion it is harder to see all the windows in a space without overlap. Mission Control starts with all windows from the same app overlapping each other.

5. EEXOOO macrumors regular

1. You can assign apps to a specific space in Mission Control.
    2. I guess it's more of getting used to?
    3. You can set a default number of spaces, I have 4 of them.
    4. I have to agree with you on this, this is a step back.

6. 617arg thread starter macrumors 6502

It looks like I'll have to try it on a computer I don't use for work first. I really like that I can see each window that's open in Expose. Everything else sounds like something I can live with. Hopefully navigating from space to space is just as easy as Leopard.