Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you like better?

• Heavy Metal

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Rock

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • Deathcore

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Very curiously, the original demo for "God of Thunder" - with Paul on lead vocal - sounds distinctly...wait for it...disco! Still a great song, but night and day different from the Demon's version on Destroyer.

I couldn't agree more. There are a lot of there demo's that are very disco sounding. Heck listen to some of their stuff in the mid-late 70's. Some disco sounding music let me tell yeah! LOL

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Thrash/speed metal works, but they're generally called the big 4 of thrash metal. The Big four concerts over the summer had anthrax, megadeth, slayer and metallica all playing the same concert. At the end of metallica's setlist the rest of the bands came out to play "Am I Evil" with all four bands on stage. If you didn't know about the dvd for one of the concerts is on itunes.

That is something I would have to see.

There are a lot of legends and egos in those four bands, but not one a slacker. Just seeing Mustaine, Ulrich, and Ian on the stage at the same time would be bizarre just by itself. I would think it would blow the fuse to the stadium.

I know in the end Mustaine and Ulrich have mended their ways and kicking out Mustaine for alcoholism might have seemed strange having had Hetfield have the same issue (but probably not as bad).

I knew a guy who was a mixdown engineer for Metallica and while he didn't record them, he took the finished product and did all the editing and made things sound pretty on Load and Re-load. It was the job of the mixdown crowd to get some samples of finished work done and then show it to the band. Metallica record company brass would sometimes come down to Sausalito and check things out. But Lars was out there all the time micromanaging the process of mixdown and marketing. The guy is the leader of the band, and found the name, yes, but he's primarily their drummer after that. But he drove the mixdown crew and the brass crazy.

I was shocked to hear these stories, and they kind of echoed the control he's had over the band from the wings for a long time. But what really pissed me off was when he decided he would become the legal spokesperson on the whole record industry issue and Napster. What makes him the expert there, too? That being said, whether co-workers, bosses, or subordinates liked the guy or not, he is an immensely smart person and if he had not been a famous rock star, he would be off running some corporation somewhere.

In the end, Mustaine got a raw deal but he didn't do badly for himself. He's a great guitarist but he's still no Kirk Hammett but Metallica would have done well their whole career with the original lineup they had after they took on Cliff Burton and had they kept Mustaine. Metallica is about the song, and quite a few people could have filled the role as lead guitarist for that band.

Last edited:

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
you mustnt know the genre very well ;)

I VOTE DEATHCORE!

LOL same.

i saw Bring Me The Horizon as an example of a Deathcore band so i'm assuming A Day To Remember falls under that category because they're (in my opinion) similar and currently i'd prefer that and similar heavy/punk/rock music over the other two options.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Wait...subgenres? What are those?

hahahaha. Yeah Metal has like 857 subgenres. Check the map below for more information:

http://www.mapofmetal.com/#/home

Enjoy.

That's a great map. There are so many sub-genres or genres I have never heard of. I think I have to start visiting You Tube more.

Because of this thread, I have heard the Paul Stanley version of "God of Thunder" which I had never heard of. Very interesting and different from the original. I also love Gene's country music rendition of that song on the unplugged version. Those guys in Kiss can pretty much play any genre they want to. They had a later metal and somewhat grunge sound on their last album (Revenge and Carnival of Souls) before they put the makeup back on and reverted strictly to 70's tribute Kiss stuff.

It would have been interesting to see where they would have gone with this newer direction which still had a bit of their old signature sound but a lot of better musicianship in Eric Singer and Bruce Kulick.

Last edited:

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I pretty much like anything from Metallica, Atreyu, Killswitch Engage, Five Finger Death Punch etc.

I always heard the name Atreyu in guitar ads and print, but I had no idea who they were or what they sounded like. But then I check out the guitars the two guitarists use and I instantly recognize who they are by just that. :)

I knew Travis Miguel was a "name" in heavy metal guitar (or whatever their sub-genre) is or was, but I didn't know that the popular guitar model bearing his name was associated with Atreyu.

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2007
Wait...subgenres? What are those?

hahahaha. Yeah Metal has like 857 subgenres. Check the map below for more information:

http://www.mapofmetal.com/#/home

Enjoy.

lol I know that Metal has hundreds of subgenres I didn't think there was 857 to be exact lol but I thought that the OP would have done some more research before posting a poll thread like this and only having 3 options to choose between

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
I'm a fan (if you can call me that) of modern Death, Djent stylised metal, as well as Power Metal (modern Death/Power also).

Really though, if I had one "heavy genre" to listen to for the rest of my life it would be Post-Hardcore.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
lol I know that Metal has hundreds of subgenres I didn't think there was 857 to be exact lol but I thought that the OP would have done some more research before posting a poll thread like this and only having 3 options to choose between

You must not be to familiar with the OP! I am surprised we got three to choose from!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.