Heavy Rain

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

So what does everyone think about this one? Will it be awesome...or awful? First review gave it an "awesome" - but it's from "Official Playstation Magazine", so I expected no less.

I am definitely intrigued by the game. I can't wait to see some more reviews, I'm really hoping it will be a cool experience.

Isn't there a demo coming out soon?

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I really enjoyed Indigo Prophecy | Fahrenheit and therefore I'm looking forward to it.

Will it be a masterpiece ? Well expectations like that can only lead to disappointment.

The most interesting preview of hands on that I have read raises interesting questions. Namely that whilst the games director wishes to blur the line between 'Movie & Game' experience, the biggest problem with it is 'Focus'. There is a lack of genuine movie genre focus and therefore it seemingly flits from a Sam Mendes 'American Beauty', to a De Palma all out action flick with the sections 'jarring' and pacing literally all over the place. If it wanted to really blur the movie \ game line it should have chosen a directorial movie genre and stuck to it - and in doing so become a master of that; rather than trying to blend 8 different movies into a game experience and be a master of none.

I have it pre-ordered already and look forward to making my own mind up about it.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

My most anticipated game of the year...I can't wait to get my hands on this. I've noticed a lot of bloggers go out of their way to call this game a QTE fest and once again the sheep that is the internet follow close behind. Why is it a game thats not about blood/gore/FPS is not worth the time of gamers:rolleyes:

I know quantic dream devs are real good at telling a story and I'm hoping they stay away from the crazy end of Indigo Prophecy.

Bless

4. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    I'm looking forward to it, but I am definitely waiting on the reviews. I don't mind QTE events. I was a big fan of both Shenmues on Dreamcast. I read the last blog by someone from the studio, and he seemed overly depressed about the development of the game and story. I DO NOT buy into any hype about games coming out. TOTAL BS. It seems that the majority of hyped games are mediocre or terrible. I really only preorder games that have a low chance of going wrong. This is one I will not preorder.

5. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

The only game I pre-ordered is Bioshock 2. I would go for Gran Turismo as well, but is seems it will be delayed again, so why bother?

As far as Heavy Rain is concerned, I have seen some videos in GameTrailers, and it really seems like an overhyped game. The faces and voices are totally unacceptable for a 2010 game.

I won't be buying this before I play it in some demo, even if it does get good reviews.

6. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

How can GT be delayed again when it never had a release date in all but 1 region? The only region that can say it was delayed is Japan, they are the only region to ever have an official release date.

On topic, this game is great, worth the price of admission imo. While it can be a bit QTE heavy the story and how it immerses you more than compensates and then some.

7. macfan881 macrumors 68020

Sixthaxsis is saying the Demo may hit early in the UK this week so i got my UK account Ready Looking forward to it.

oh and for other Demos this week PSN is suposivly geting along to Heavy Rain is Aliens VS Preadator and BF BC 2

8. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Are you in on something we don't know about? There is no demo yet, and the game is not out....so then how can you say the game is great?

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Ed is actually in the game..... Seriously he was one of the motion captured actors. Amazing really.

It was the stripper scene you did Ed wasn't it ?

10. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

No, he was the drunken convenience store robber, just like in real life~!

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I thought Ed was the watered down detective looking for some Ben-gay to sooth those aching joints.

Good try with the frying pan Ed..:p (game reference...remember the scene in the convenient store?...oh forget it)

Bless

12. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

Also, I know that many folks have already gotten early review copies.

13. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

So then I'll wait for the review, to learn about the disappointments as well. A one sentence "review" is not enough info to earn a purchase from me.

14. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Thanks for the fun guys, I'll get you back MRU, 2NY, and the sneaky Canadian too! :p:eek:;) I don't have a review copy though ;)

15. macfan881 macrumors 68020

16. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I'm amazed at how well the QT sequences work. Great game, loved the demo, I want more!

17. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I was always going to buy it regardless of review score. :)

19. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Being that it's such a short game, it'll be a rental for me, and pick it up once its below $10.

20. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

I wish I still had the kind of free time to blow on video games to consider an 8-hour game "short". It took me about a year to finish Bioshock! :D

That said, this is definitely a multiple-play-through game.

21. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

It is that comparatively the standard is 20-40hrs right? Hence why I will wait till it comes down in price.

22. macfan881 macrumors 68020

I'm really surpised IGN gave this a 9/10 cant wait to play the full game.

23. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Brilliant, the demo made me want to import the Euro special edition version just for the extra goodies...just from the demo I can tell the story will be engrossing.

Controls were a little awkward at the start but it took me seconds to adjust.

Bless

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No average game length of an action/adventure title is 8-12 hours.

A number of games can be breezed through a lot quicker. Resident Evil 5 can be finished in little over 6 hours.

RPG's tend to be the daddies of game length, some clocking in 60+ hours. However if you were to take out the backtracking, rambling text/conversations & random level grinding battles that length would probably end up around the same 12 hour mark.

25. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz