Heavy Wifi problems.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by FlintAlt2, Nov 13, 2008.

1. FlintAlt2 macrumors regular

Hey all,

Im wondering if anyone can help me with some questions and problems which are really making me sad about my Mac.

Firstly this is the iMac I have:

( Since July 2008 )
    24"
    3.06Ghz
    500GB HDD
    4Gb RAM
    Nvidia 8800 GS

Internet:

DSL modem > ( about 1 month old ) 500GB Time Capsule ( Bridge mode ) > - iMac
    - PS3

---------------------------------------------

I have some serious wifi problems all of a sudden and I have no idea whats going on.

Problem:

My wifi seems to collapse every 5-10 minutes. There seems to be absolutely NO pattern. Except for if I go on Safari a lot or start up Adium in about 2-3 minutes from doing either the wifi connection will break.

When my iMac breaks the wifi connection the internet is also lost on my PS3. HOWEVER if Im playing online games on my PS3 and do not have my iMac switched on the connection will never break, doesn't matter how long.

My iMac is doing something which seems to be breaking my Time Capsule's Wifi.

This is seriously depressing as I can no longer do any practicle browsing online or talk to my friends. If tried reseting and reconfiguring all my stuff and can find no problem. Biggest problem is that I can no longer do TIme Machine backups.

Could anyone please help me? Im a switcher and this is really disheartening

p.s. is it normal that my iMac lags when the dashboard appears, when I open a stack in grid mode or loading Album covers in iTunes?. Im starting to think I have a faulty iMac..

2. SubZer0 macrumors member

My first thought is why use bridged mode? Maybe it has to do with the devices grabbing an IP from your ISP instead of an internal network.

How about unplugging your PS3 and using your Mac alone on the network as the only device and see if you still get disconnected.

Just a thought

Mark