Hebrew

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by eternlgladiator, Jan 23, 2012.

1. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Anybody in the forum speak/write hebrew? I'm trying to confirm that I have a word right. The word is "thirteen".

I know there's masculine and feminine versions. I want masculine, which phonetically is shlosha asar (I think).

This is what I have so far.

שלושה עשר

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Or ask your tattoo artist that is going to ink it on your body. :p

Sorry, stupid assumptions aside, follow what MacDawg said.

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

That's some kopf vetag you got there.

Oops, yiddish.

Sorry,no help here.:eek: :D

5. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

6. AlphaDogg, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012

AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I speak and write hebrew. What MacDawg said is close, but incorrect. It is shalosh esreh. Written like this: שלוש עשרה

Edit: Oops just noticed you want masculine. It is indeed shloshah asar (what MacDawg said).

May I ask why you want the masculine form?

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

From what I can tell that is the feminine, and he wanted the masculine

Screen Shot 2012-01-24 at 10.30.52 AM.png

8. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Being a male means I would use the masculine form correct? Or does it have more to do with the recipient than the user?

9. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Give me the english translation of the sentence you want it in (or what situation it will be used in).

Edit: yes the different forms do have to do with the gender of the person you would be talking with/about.

10. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Well I purposely left the part about getting it tattooed out because I know it represents a moral argument that I'd really rather not get into but since you asked that's what I want it for. So in that case since its really referring to me I think masculine would be correct.

11. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Yes. The masculine form would be correct. Go for it! If you want a more traditional looking hebrew font, use the one in the image MacDawg posted, but if you want a more modern looking font, use this: שלושה עשר.

12. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I haven't narrowed down the font I want to use. What about vowels and accents. It's my understanding that they're not required.

13. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Correct. Vowels are not needed. However, if you want vowels, use the following: שְׁלוֹשָׁה עָשָׂר

14. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I think it looks great without. Thanks for your help Alpha. I appreciate it.

15. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Sure no problem. PM me with any more questions. Could you post a picture of the tattoo after you get it?

16. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I will but I don't have a time set or anything yet. Can I ask why you speak/write hebrew? Did you learn it in school?

17. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

If your gandma is orthodox, as mine was, you are in huge trouble if you get a tattoo. You can't be buried in a Jewish cemetery.

Not a big problem for me because my parents were totally atheistic and I wasn't bar mitzvahed, so as far as my grandma was concerned, I was a goy - for her the worst thing anyone could be. (No stupid, ignorant bigotry there. No sir).

Of course, all of this presumes you from Jewish heritage. Either way enjoy your tat - I'm loving my two.:D

18. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

*sigh* Again, leave it to me to ask the REALLY important question:

OP, what is the significance of the tattoo, particularly the number 13? And why in Hebrew? (I'm not interested in any moral argument, I'm just curious. :))

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The Number 13, and in the Masculine gender.

I would suspect a remembrance from his Bar Mitzvah.

DOH!!! :p

20. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

330 mm (or 13 inches)

21. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I am Jewish and I learn it at my Jewish school. We have quite a few Israelis who are our hebrew teachers.

22. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

The cemetery thing is a myth and my grandmother probably won't be excited but she'll respect my personal decision. I've given it quite a bit of thought and while I'd rather not argue the finer points of the issue I'll be happy to have a discussion with you if you'd like to.

Thirteen is my lucky number and I really wanted to do something creative with it rather than just a one and a three.

Really has nothing to do with my Bar Mitzvah beyond a coincidence.

You're lucky. I wish I had that opportunity.

23. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I will certainly accede to your knowledge of Jewish tradition. As my Grandmother said, I am a goy.

However, it was my impression that in Orthodox tradition (Orthodox only) one may not alter their body, except in service of medical needs; e.g. a tattoo "target" for radiation treatment.

I will gladly defer to your knowledge, as my knowledge of of Jewish tradition (Orthodox, Conservative and Reform) surely lacks depth. You undoubtedly know more than I. :D

24. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I'm not going to claim to know more than most. I do know that the cemetery thing is a myth (probably started because one cemetery refused one person and then it became urban legend). I've actually done a little bit of research in preparation for possibly getting a tattoo and getting a tattoo is forbidden as you quoted but its also believed this was because it was a pagan tradition and also limited to slaves and that's why it was outlawed. There's also parts of the Torah that say that treating your body poorly via excessive eating and drinking are just as bad or worse than a tattoo, so getting one could be considered no better or worse than those and how many people do you know who take part in those activities. I'd also like to point out that the Torah states our bodies are made in God's image and that we are to take care of them and make no modifications that are not for medical purposes. To me that would also include piercings, cosmetic surgery, and anything else of that sort. There's lots of ways to "break the rules". I personally feel that intent is just as important as the act. My intent is not to upset anybody but to create a connection to my religion and have a personal reminder that luck can come from different places.

25. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Thanks for the very interesting reply. :D