Heck with Safari, why not ICHAT for Windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by WannaGoMac, Jun 11, 2007.

1. WannaGoMac macrumors 68000

As subject says. Seriously, if you're trying to get people to convert, get iChat for WINDOWS going so Mac people can chat with Windows folks and get the Windows folks to switch...

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Because iChat would've required more porting. And WebKit was already compiled for Windows, Apple just had to add their flavor to it.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thats not a bad idea actually. i prefer adium over ichat, cauz i dont have the ichat account thingo but that would be a great idea.

4. djellison macrumors 68020

Safari for Windows just makes zero sense. If people want something other than IE7 - they have Firefox. I can't imagine why Safari would dent the useage of either significantly.

I have a Macbook and Safari isn't even on my dock - I use Firefox. Why would I want to use Safari on a PC for heavens sake!!

But iChat for windows - that would be DAMN usefull. It would make iChat a valid IM option instead of just a gimmick to be ignored before using Skype.

Doug

5. 66217 Guest

To experience iChat completely, you need OS X. Specially the new iChat.

In contrast, Safari is a very stand alone app that can work perfectly without iPhoto, Address Book, etc.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yeap good point.. safari seems very slow on xp though. i probably wont be using it. u need the whole package for it to be the best experiance

7. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

Most likely so that when Windows users buy an iPhone they will have the same browser on their desktop as their iPhone.
    The same way you buy an ipod and use itunes on both platforms.

8. 66217 Guest

Remember that Safari 3 is still in beta. So it might be quite buggy. But I would prefer using Safari over IE a zillion times. The same with Firefox, I have never liked it that much.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hahai could be jumping into things, mainly because safari doesnt want to support my proxy server. it seemed really sluggy, thus your point about it being beta. october :D thats what im waiting for!

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well apart from making windows website developers making it Safari/iPhone compatible.

Brand awareness people who use the iPhone are more likely to use Safari.

If it is indeed as fast as they say it is then there is a perfect reason to use it.

11. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Web designers, developers, companies in general don't design their websites with Safari in mind. There's just not much point - especially when Mac users have the choice of Firefox.

However, by releasing Safari for the PC it's likely that it's share of the web browsing market can only increase. It would only take a few percentage points to give Safari a better status in the browser rankings and irk the creators of all things weblike that their sites and services should be more compatible.

Not to mention that a lot of developers are going to be on Windows and not have any Mac's available for cross platform testing. Now they have no excuse not to ensure Safari works :)

Microsoft also benefit from this, I believe. There were too many years of little innovation and little choice at their hands. The only way Microsoft will be allowed to survive as the vastly dominant computer software player will be if there is healthy competition.

12. jialuolu macrumors regular

Because in order for 3rd party iPhone development to catch on, they need as many developers as possible. Now there's more incentive for Windows users to develop for the iPhone because they wouldn't have to buy a Mac just for Safari

13. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I think this is all about the iPhone really...both in terms of application development and in terms of Windows users purchasing iPhones, using Safari on the iPhone, then downloading it for their PC. The added benefit is when the marketshare increases and web designers start coding more Safari-friendly pages.

14. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Oddly enough, not all people are you! You don't like IE, so you use FF. Some like IE, so they use it. Some don't like IE, but aren't huge fans of FF either. Some people use OS X and Windows, and like Safari.

I know its a shock, but people can like different thing, and its ok :eek:

15. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I like the OS level integration...for example, I can drag a picture on a website, or some text, to the desktop, and it will appear there :)

16. WannaGoMac thread starter macrumors 68000

Obviously Safari is just so developers can test the code in windows.

I still don't like Safari. Without Adblock, even less interest in Safari for Windows.

With that said, iChat always looked like it had great video conferencing capabilities. Is the quality better than Skype?

17. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Here is why Safari is good for windows... It is the ONLY browser for Windows that supports ICC color profiles. Nuff said, if you want color accurate photos on the internet you need Safari.

18. WannaGoMac thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't know what that is.
    Won't this be limited by most displays only having 8-bits of color?

19. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICC_Profile

Basically makes the colors of a photo I have match on every one's screen. That's why photos look different in Safari and FireFox (Safari accurately displays the colors and FireFox depends on what your display profile is).

20. 66217 Guest

Yeah, that's a cool feature I use a lot. Is this possible in Safari for Windows?

21. moonislune macrumors regular

I totally agree. What use is it to have the best instant messenger (iChat) and still not be able to communicate via audio/video with the pc crowd? I know AOL, Yahoo Jabber, aMSN, etc. can SOMEWHAT do the trick, but iChat should be able to directly connect to the MSN and Yahoo services with audio and video. AOL and Yahoo have audio/video in their messaging clients for the Mac, but guess which software maker who also controls 90%+ of the OS market doesn't offer audio/video through their messaging client for Mac. Microsoft. This has been going on for years! Come on Apple, get with the game! Instant messaging with audio/video and being able to do so with the 90% Windows crowd should be a no-brainer.