Hedged my Verizon bet, signed up with two data plans yesterday.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Oilbrnr, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Oilbrnr macrumors 6502

Got to thinking yesterday while out running errands, that if the iPhone is annonced on Vz this coming Tuesday, will they also annonce new tiered data plans like AT&T has done. I was near one of their stores so I went in and inquired to see if I could go month to month with our old RAZRs and add a smartphone unlimited data plan. Sure enough I could. The rep was really cool and setup everything with some dummy ESNs and I was out the door with a family plan for two with data. He didn't think it was a bad idea, and neither did the rep I talked to on the land line when I got home to activate the old Motorola. (going to give it to my Mom, as she just needs a *phone*)

Figure I don't have much to loose, if Tuesday passes without the iPhone coming to Vz, it is just a pro-rated charge for the few days of service. No contract = no ETF.

While AT&T service has gotten *better* here in the Metro Phoenix area, especially parts of Scottsdale where I spend most of my time, it still doesn't work at my home without paying for the 3G MicroCell. As a matter of fact, it is nine miles from our front door to where we get reliable coverage. After three years of waiting, my wife and I are done. Other rural AZ areas where we travel has not gotten much better either.

Just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone thinking about switching. It might be a good way to preserve the data plans...

YMMV

2. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

*edit*

I guess you have nothing to lose if there's no contract

3. hushmartin macrumors 6502

I thought Verizon already went to tiered data plans? :confused:

But if you're able to get unlimited, freaking go for it! I'm not sure at this point who I'd like service with for the next two years. I'm pretty fond of rollover, but Verizon does have better coverage in my area; though not by too much.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

What if the phone is announced tomorrow but not available until June like the original iPhone?

5. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Which is EXACTLY what I believe is going to occur (on Tuesday)...

6. mpossoff macrumors 68020

How is verizon in your home/area?

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So do I.

8. mrcribbs macrumors newbie

Why would they announce it 5 months ahead of launch?

Other than keeping current AT&T people from re-upping if they were thinking of switching, they would lose a lot of current phone sales for 5 months...

9. stewart715 macrumors 6502

The only reason the original iPhone was announced in January and released in June is because they didn't want to file for operating permits with the FCC (which are public) before the announcement. If they did, then the big unveiling wouldn't really be an unveiling since again, the operating permits are public record. If they announce the phone on Tuesday, it's likely it will be released within a few weeks, regardless of any update that may or may not occur in June. How could it possibly benefit them to wait until June to launch iPhone 5 on both. Do you think they really care that Verizon customers have 6 months less to enjoy iPhone 4 before getting iPhone 5 than AT&T customers? In the end, they know many are likely to buy both regardless. It doesn't even matter as far as upgrades go anyways. Even if they launched the Verizon iPhone 5 next January, all who used their upgrade to buy the new VZW iPhone 4 wouldn't be eligible for an upgrade until 2013 anyways.

And on another note - Regardless of how history has gone over the previous 3 years, since iPhone 4 is such a big leap from iPhone 3GS, don't be surprised to not see iPhone 5 until January 2012, for both carriers. It would be unlikely for them to release the phone on Verizon, have everyone switch to Verizon and then release a better version on AT&T only this June. The two likely scenarios are that both get iPhone 5 in June or both get iPhone 5 in January 2012.

10. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I just don't think you're going to be able to transfer the unlimited plan to the iphone. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think this is gonna work

11. stewart715 macrumors 6502

I agree.

12. NYDiplomat macrumors regular

when I was with verizon did not grandfather anything. Once you sign a new contract you sign into the new rules. but that was my 8+ yrs experience.

13. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

I can't wait till all you people get first hand experience with Verizons crappy customer service. They are the lowest forms of pond scum on the planet. Matter of fact they are lower on the food chain of life than the single celled amoeba that feed on whale crap. I was a loyal Vz customer for years and when my contract was up they actually kept lying to us and pushing our date up:mad:

Since I went to AT&T I have never been happier....their customer service reps all speak english and have excellent demeanor. No strange charges on my bill no sudden rate changes...which VZ did to me twice in one year.

I wish you all the best of luck:rolleyes:

14. stewart715 macrumors 6502

This is a response to not only this reply, but many others like this:

Well there's a reason that AT&T scored lowest in every possible category from service itself to customer service. Secondly, Verizon's customer service isn't really that bad. If you go into a retail store, it's not the best, but 9/10 times when you call phone support, they're pretty knowledgeable and get things done for you. Perhaps, you had a bad experience but it is widely known and experienced that while Verizon's customer service isn't top notch, it is far superior to that of AT&T.

Just to give you a hint of how good Verizon is -- I asked to speak to a supervisor regarding my upgrade eligibility and the man I spoke to was nice enough to grant me a reduced price upgrade because of my experience with the phone I had. As far as prorating and surcharges go, you have to be careful with any monthly subscription, especially one as complicated as a cellular device (data, voice, roaming, messages, applications, etc.)

Whether you believe this is BS or not but a good family friend of mine works at the corporate office for VZW in Northern NJ and while she had no knowledge of an iPhone coming, she did say they were 'unnecessarily expanding their network' and no one knew why. I have a feeling when the iPhone comes out, Verizon customers will be far happier than if they were on the notoriously brutal carrier.

15. SF-RR7 macrumors member

If they announce the iPhone going to Verizon on Tuesday and not available till June or July so it would hurt sales for AT&T , don't you all think that would Hurt Apple to? I don't think they would like that very much.

I use to be a Verizon customer for a long time until there customer service pissed me off and when my contract was up, I cancelled. The next thing you know they send me a bill for the 2 weeks I used and no problem I paid,few days later they send me another bill an said you still owe us more money. I was really upset and just wanted to get rid of them and paid that bill. A few days later I get another bill and that was the last I could stand from them. I called them and Bitched at everyone I talk to and told them there harassing me, so the manager finally said ok that's it no more payments.
    I would never go back to Verizon.

16. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

If you're going month-to-month, won't you have to pay full price for the iPhone when you get it? Or are you planning on turning your month-to-month into a contract that grandfathers in unlimited data when getting the iPhone?

Just curious...

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes you will.

18. rossihvac macrumors regular

rossihvac

I will laugh hysterically when it turns out to be the 3GS and not an iPhone 4. How effed up would that be

19. Oilbrnr thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup, contract/upgrade time if it is fact the iPhone.

20. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I will believe a Verizon iPhone when I see it. This is all still rampant rumor based on a WSJ source who is "in the know" as well as a coincidental event. I have at least half a dozen friends who work at the local Verizon office from customer service people to EAs to the regional directors and none of them know anything about this.

21. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Maybe this was the case for you, but I've been with Verizon since they've been called "Verizon" and I've got 3 grandfathered programs, including a truly unlimited MiFi account that has been carried over from prior unlimited mobile broadband card accounts.

You just have to know what you are doing when you upgrade. If you do it through a store, the bozo's there almost always yank your grandfather options. If you do it online or via their call center, there's certain things you can ask for that will ensure you stay grandfathered. PM me if interested and I'll tell you how to do it...not hard at all, but never EVER do it in a store. Those guys/gals get SPIFFED on sunsetting a grandfathered program, seriously...I've seen it posted before.

Wow, someone over there must have beat you up and stolen your girlfriend and your dog both I'm guessing?

Like I just said, I've been a Verizon customer since they were called Verizon. Their customer service doesn't walk on water....no better/worse than AT&T in my experience really. But I will say that the few times I've had billing disputes they have fixed them quickly and professionally.

The trick is to stay FAR FAR AWAY from letting the in-store personnel work on anything exotic with your account. Those people are on commission and paid to do all sorts of silly things....can't afford the full out-of-upgrade-cycle-non-subsidized price sir? No problem, here...let me sell you an extra line, convert you to a family account and then you can use that upgrade while I fudge the IMEI numbers to make it all work out ok. They can get VERY creative but also do some VERY CREATIVE things to your account and billing as a result.

Go through their online or dial-up support whenever you can. You'll be better off in the long run.

22. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

That's a terrible business decision - they would lose a significant amount of revenue.

23. stewart715 macrumors 6502

Well that's my point -- I have a friend who's an exec at Verizon and she, at the very least, claims to know no official news on any iPhone or iPad for Verizon.\

And again, the iPhone was only announced 6 months before release (in 2007) because they didn't want to file for FCC approval until after their announcement. They announced the phone right at the end of development. This is not the case. It is simply a new carrier.

24. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

Jumped the gun with the plans, but as long as it doesn't cost.... more power to you.