Hedging the Arrandale Update - SSD??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by abnospam, Mar 7, 2010.

1. abnospam macrumors regular

abnospam

Hi Everyone -

I definitely want an Intel SSD in my new MBP with iX processor. But to hedge the wait and in case apple takes until the Fall, I am considering grabbing this SSD and putting it my current Lenovo laptop. So, here is my question...

Once the MBPs come out and I want to take the SSD out of the lenovo and place it the MBP I will have to format the drive and erase windows. Does formatting essentially bring the SSD back to new? Or will it now perform like a "used" drive? What is the best practice here? Is there a boot-utility to format and run a TRIM on the drive before installing OSX?

Much appreciated...

2. newdeal macrumors 68020

I think there is an intel utility that will work so long as the drive is formatted to NTFS. So basically you could take it out, put it in another computer, format it using the intel utility, and then installing snow leopard fresh on it.

3. abnospam thread starter macrumors regular

abnospam

ok, sounds great, but that means I have to have it installed as a secondary drive on a windows computer? Ideally I am looking for a boot-disk option so I can boot of a disk, wipe the drive, then boot off another disk, TRIM it, then install OSX. This way I don't need to open up a desktop just to do this.

4. leicaUser macrumors newbie

5. abnospam thread starter macrumors regular

abnospam