Heeeeeeeeeeeelp! Us this true?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JulieGirl, Nov 7, 2009.

1. JulieGirl macrumors newbie

I just went to an appliance store, and there was an iMac desktop for sale for $999. It's got what I need...garageband and a cheap price.

He said these won't be around for even two more months. The don't make them anymore, and all new iMacs will be $2200.

Should I go get that computer in the next week so that I don't get priced out of ever getting an iMac?

I like the big screen too. But, seriously...all's I want is garageband, but this computer will eventually become useful for more when I can afford Dreamweaver or something for it or Office 2207.

Thank you!!!

Jules

2. atticus27 macrumors regular

atticus27

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

New iMacs have been released recently.

More than likely, the model that you are looking at has just been discontinued.

Suggest that you go to the Apple website to see the current iMac offerings and compare to determine what's best for you.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No, there's a lot that isn't... the lowest end current iMac starts at $1199.. this is a 21.5", 3.06GHz one. If you're really price sensitive, there are frequently iMacs on Apple's online refurbished site also... although the stock is variable and there are none right now. It's highly unlikely however that there will be a time anytime in the foreseeable future when no iMac costs less than $2200....

5. prmccarron macrumors regular

prmccarron

Yes

Yeah, if you won't be able to get one that's 2200 bucks, why not? It's got what you want and need, it just is smaller and comes with Mighty Mouse instead of Magic Mouse, which you can get later (although it's 70 bucks:eek:)
    Love a Mac, Get a Mac.
    Unless you'd rather buy a Windows comp and something like FL Studio :D

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

6. JulieGirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think I can wait til June?

So iMacs will continue to be available around the $1200 for at least a year?

Do you think the old models will be available (new) til June '10?

and...soooo nice of you to hook me up with this info.

Julie

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Somewhere between $1000-1400, yeah, there should be something at any given time.

Old models available new until June...hmmm??? No. Not too likely. There will be a few here and there but they don't stay readily available (as refurbs they're around a while longer). The stock moves quickly. But the iMac was just updated and probably will be at what it's at now until around mid-summer to early fall of next year.

The $999 one may be a good deal, but it really depends on what it is. Quite a lot was substantially updated for the new lowest end ($1200) iMac)....

8. JulieGirl thread starter macrumors newbie

I am appreciative...

Well I may not have $1000 available this quickly. So if I'm stuck until Spring or so do you think I should go to the Apple Store online in the Spring? I mean, where would you go to buy one? Would you avoid ebay?

Man you guys are generous. Thank you.

9. boston44 macrumors 6502

Don't fret if you don't but this one. Apple has some refurbs from the previous gen for $999 all the time.. They will always have them under $2,200, even the 21.5 inch ones. eBay is fine IMO if you know what you're buying.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If money were really tight but I foresaw having around $1000 and wanting to spend it on a Mac, I think I would probably go with the refurb section of the Apple store also. By June you might be able to get a 21.5" refurb at that price. Unless you have a specific concern about refurbs (Apple's refurbs are very nice), that's the way to go.

Otherwise, Craigslist (local only -- never make a long-distance arrangement on CL) is good. eBay is good if you're eBay savvy, but even savvy people get caught sometimes (I have a dispute open right now, but it's just for an $18 season of Office).

11. boston44 macrumors 6502

I think you will be able to get the 21.5 for $1,000 eventually i the refurb section. Remember, you could get the 20 inch 2.66 GHz for that price, comparable to the 13" MBP 2.26 GHz. Now that the 21.5 has replaced this, it only makes since you could get one for $1,000-$1,100 sometime in the future. You would be advanced in technology, as well.