Heeeeelp! Old iMessages/texts keep disappearing

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by akmmhallberg, May 28, 2012.

1. akmmhallberg, May 28, 2012
    Last edited: May 28, 2012

akmmhallberg macrumors newbie

I have a couple of reeeeally long txt threads with both iMessages and regular texts. Earlier today I was trying to find an old message in one of them, so I kept hitting the "load earlier messages" button.. & realized that I can go back for a while but four or five pages of the oldest messages are missing :/ and everytime I send a new one, the oldest one disappeares. Whyyyyy? I didn't realize until now & I really want those messages back if possible. Have anyone else heard of this problem & is there a way to get them back? & (yes I realize this is probably an unrealistic wish) Since I registered my e-mail/apple id, could the messages possibly be hiding in a folder somewhere in my e-mail account?

2. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Every time you back up your iPhone to your computer, your text messages are backed up, as well. The text messages are contained within the iPhone backup. There's probably a way to view them normally, but I use the SMS log from the Missing Sync for iPhone (not free, unfortunately). I don't know for certain whether the iTunes iPhone backup prunes its own text messages - I've had the SMS log since I had an iPhone, so while I can see messages from the very beginning, I don't know if it's because the SMS log makes its own backups or if it's because they're still in the iTunes backup file.

There are probably other SMS log viewers around - might as well Google to see if there's a free or cheaper one available. Within my log, group messages are not grouped; instead, messages are attributed from each individual contact, which can make it hard to follow a discussion. Also, it doesn't seem like images are backed up.

I don't know how this would all relate to backups made to iCloud.

I hope it's helpful - good luck.