Heeelp: MBP-2012 way too slow launching programs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mortenjensen, Nov 25, 2012.

1. mortenjensen macrumors regular

Hi all,
    I have a MBP, 15'', 2012 (not the very newest) with 750 mb HD and 8 gb RAM.
    My problem: It is way too slow when launching programs. My own take is that it has to do with the HD-reading. It gets slow, when the disk activity gets high in activity monitor and the swap-disk is high too.

Examples:
    - luanching iTunes: up til 30 bumps/bounces on the ikon bar before launching.
    - calender: 8 bumps
    - restart: 1 min and 10 seks.

Is there a way to measure if my HD is working as it should?
    My MBP was dropped on the floor once. Could it have caused a thing (though I don't get any freezes or sudden halts)?

Finally: I run Fusion and windows with 1 gb and 1 processor allocated. It could mean a thing too. But this much?

Morten

2. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Well, dropping the MBP (especially if the HD is/was still operating) will not do it any favors.. and I suspect that if any damage was done it may be incremental and show up as time goes by, but would think you would have seen it soon after the incident..

Have you ever run : Disk Utility > Verify Disk > Repair Disk ??

** I am certainly not the most Tech Person here, but that is a good place to start to see if your HD has perhaps any issues.. Methinks..

3. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

Ugh, the 2012 15" is the very NEWEST!

4. mortenjensen, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012

mortenjensen thread starter macrumors regular

nope, the very newest was released June 2012 - mine is from january 2012.

----------

The HD was not running. It was actually stolen from my office, and one of my colleges chased the thief so he had to drop it ...

Morten

5. mortenjensen thread starter macrumors regular

I just checked the harddisk in start up mode (cmd + R) and some errors were found and corrected.

Upon a fresh reboot, iTunes is down to 8 bumps; safari 5.
    But then, upon launching Mail, the system freezes for some time. I took around 30 secs for mail to become active. I launced Word 2011 as well some time into that and it took around the same amount of time.

What's going on here? Why does my system become slow every now and then?

I reminds my painfully much of my Windows days!

Morten

6. mortenjensen thread starter macrumors regular

My question: Is there a way to test the HD for speed and failures, besides Disk utility?

It seems to me that the system slows down, when it has to do a lot of reading from the hard drive. And my feeling is that it is way more than could be expected.

Morten