HEEELP!!! please, troubleshooting

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sergiovz, Mar 3, 2008.

1. sergiovz macrumors newbie

I have aproblem with my macbook, i hope somebodie can help me.... the other day i was using my computer when it freezed without any reason, the keyboard wasnt working and after waiting some time i just pressed the on/off key until it turned off.... i turned it on again and it just stayed in hte white screen with the mac logo and the spinning, after waiting some time i turned it off again..,.. i started it up using command + S (start up in single-user mode) and it looks like everything is but in the end it says:

If you want to make modifications to files:
    /sbin/fsck -fy
    /sbn/mount -uw /

If you wish to boot the system:
    exit

please help me i dont now what to do, if u need more info just tell me...thx

2. andy.barron macrumors 6502

type:

fsck -f

after it goes to prompt: restart

3. sergiovz thread starter macrumors newbie

it says
    **/dev/rdisk0s2
    **Root file system
    **checking NON-journaled HFS Plus volume
    **Checking Extents Overflow file
    **Checking Catalog file.
    incorrect block count for file system.log
    (it should be 2433 instead of 2135)
    incorrect block count for file SystemEntropyCache
    (it should be 1 instead of 0)
    invalid index key
    (4,35485)
    **rebuilding catalog b-tree.
    **the volume machintosh HD could not be repaired.
    /dev/rdisk0s2 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8

4. sergiovz thread starter macrumors newbie

and i forgot to say that if i try to turn it on the regular way (no single-user mode) it just stays in the white window with the mac logo and the spinning wheeel for a while and then it just turns off by it self

please help me......

5. KompleX macrumors regular

try reinstalling os x. if that doesn't work then my next guess would be hard drive failure. the same thing happened to a roommate of mine where his laptop froze and would not boot into windows. instead of the usual windows splash screen he would get an error message saying something like no os found. turns out it was a dead hard drive.

6. dbourne macrumors newbie

I have a colleague with an iMac (1 1/2 yr old) that is doing the same thing. Also, it won't boot from a System DVD, or other CD/DVD. I can get into single user mode but fsck gives 'Invalid node structure' and 'Volume check failed' errors.