Height of Time Capsule HDD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jamesraward, Jan 25, 2010.

1. jamesraward macrumors regular

jamesraward

I've just purchased a replacement HDD for my TC but it's looking rather tall (might just be because I'm used to laptop drives) but I'd like to know whether it'll fit in my time capsule as that's what I've bought it for.

What are the dimensions of the TC drive?

I've got my new one sitting next to a 160GB Barracuda and it's sitting at 1", as opposed to 3/4"...

They're selling 2TB Time Capsules now so I'm assuming it will fit...

..won't it?

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

3.5" drives are all have exactly the same dimensions.
    Considering that the TC uses these drives, every SATA drive will fit physically.

3. jamesraward thread starter macrumors regular

jamesraward

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

I have one of these in my 1G TC. Product dimensions have it listed as 1.028" max. Yours will fit.

5. Transporteur macrumors 68030

:eek:
    I wasn't aware of that! Might be due to the fact that I haven't used other drives than WD for quite a long time.
    Thanks for clarification.

6. jamesraward thread starter macrumors regular

jamesraward

It's a tough world when there are multiple standards!

I'll report back when I've done it.

7. jamesraward thread starter macrumors regular

jamesraward

This set up is being a complete pain, physical installation was absolutely fine (followed this guide here) but setting up the new disk isn't playing ball. Watch this space

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

jamesraward, I've swapped my TC's HDD so I may have some information that may help your situation. Before making the swap, I used an enclosure to format the drive as HFS+ using Disk Utility. After the swap, I also made sure to use AirPort Utility to erase the disk once again. This sets up the additional hidden partitions and files on the TC's internal drive required for it to function properly. Hopefully this helps with your issues.