Helio Ocean compared to the iPhone 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sumtime19, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Sumtime19 macrumors member

Okay one of my annoying friends won't stop bashing on me about how I got an iPhone and that his Ocean is way better.. please help me out and tell me what I can tell to him to shut him up?

2. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Um how about the interface? That is the quintisential reason why the iPhone is so great. Well that and the integration (synching) with iTunes/iPhoto.

Does his Ocean replace his computer like my iPhone does for most things? Also what good are a million features if they're a pain to use?

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

tell him it's just a ****ing phone, and even though it's just a phone, you actually have multi touch, a better internet browser, and 1000's of apps.

5. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

lol, ask him how that foreign part time customer support is working out for him..

My brother had a helio before switching to the 3g, everytime he had a problem he would call the tech support and he'd get an answering machine message saying they're closed or he'd get transferred to someone out in India who didn't understand a word he was saying..

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

how about 8/16gb of storage and the best ipod ever?
    or the app store
    or safari
    the amazing interface
    the size (its not a brick)
    it doesnt look like it was designed for a 5 year old
    or visual voicemail

7. GNice macrumors 6502

Have him visit the AppStore where there are lots of cool apps and more coming everyday...oops. No such think in Helio world.:p

8. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Are you kidding me? A Helio? LMAO. That phone is a pos.I think ur friend is just jealous and is hating.

9. DreamPod macrumors 65816

A couple weeks ago I upgraded from an Ocean to an iPhone 3G, so I can chime in here.

Ocean Advantages:
    • Uses Sprint's 3G, which seems to be more widespread than AT&T's, at least in my area
    • Has real buttons, so don't need to look at the screen to make a call, and can view entire screen when typing since it has a real keyboard
    • Built-in chat apps running fully in the background, for AIM, MSN
    • MMS Support
    • Stereo Bluetooth support - I have a pair of nice quality wireless stereo bluetooth headphones, with built-in hidden mic and buttons on the ears for controlling music playback and calls; something the iPhone can't use. Wires should be a thing of the past
    • Camera has a light - not really a flash, but better than nothing
    • Camera can take videos, and even upload them to YouTube
    • Camera has higher refresh, far less screen smear, so can actually take pictures of moving objects
    • Battery swappable
    • Takes MicroSD cards, so can expand memory
    • Full playlist creation and editing from the phone itself - iPhone can make those "On the go" lists, but you can't name them, nor can you edit one once created.
    • Can sync files without needing anything like iTunes - computer sees it as a hard drive, just drag and drop. No need to limit yourself to one computer (iTunes can only take music you bought to other computers, your own MP3 collection only sync with one single computer)
    • Can use videos as wallpaper

iPhone Advantages:
    • MUCH MUCH MUCH better screen - larger, higher-res, better for everything, but especially web browsing, videos and games. #1 reason I switched.
    • Touch screen - web browsing with a cursor sucks, even when using Opera and its virtual mouse. It's just natural on the iPhone. #2 reason I switched.
    • App Store makes iPhone a real PDA and game machine, Ocean's apps and games are limited, mostly only available from Helio themselves, with a few from hackers mainly ported from other phones. #3 reason I switched.
    • Games: Many iPhone games are more like real DS/PSP games, taking advantage of hardware acceleration, high res screen, accelerometer, large storage space, and just seem higher quality in general
    • Dialing phone is easier - I may have to look at the screen, but the buttons are very large and easy to press; Ocean's phone buttons are small, thin, and kinda suck.
    • Wifi support
    • I personally find typing easier - the Ocean's keyboard, while physical, is rather small. Has a satisfying click, but iPhones large keys and smart correction means I type a lot faster on the iPhone.
    • YouTube is higher quality, even if you discount the higher-res screen
    • System lock works a lot better. Ocean can unlock just by holding down a button long enough; I occasionally made calls on accident, or found pictures of the inside of my pocket
    • Thinner - though it is bigger in the other dimensions, it still fits better in pockets, and I prefer the larger screen for having so much room

10. View macrumors regular

User Interface is the main reason.
    The looks of the device.
    Safari web browser.
    Multi-Touch which makes google map and other apps 1000 times better

If that's not enough then,
    iPod!!!!! (The helio might be able to play music, but it's hard to beat the iPod UI)

This list could go on forever if we mention the apps in the app store and installer!

11. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Ohhhh 200 megs of memory and *unlimited storage on easy to lose micro SD cards
    IMHO iPhone wins

-v-
    Your choice but the iPhone is skinnier and weighs a full 1.26 oz less

-v-
    display wise iPhone hands down
    Camera wise Helios (but we all knew that as the iPhone isn't a 10megaPixel Pro Camera replacement) :rolleyes:

-v-
    Ohhh sorry iPhone you lose on audio because only 1 speaker works :rolleyes: and sadly WMA is still to damned popular for its own good.
    Video wise, iPhone hands down that bigger display on the iPhone is schweet for viewing pr0 errr Disney Movies.
    -v-
    Winner = Helios

just a quick list, but over all they are very close in most other areas...
    Price wise the Helios is $70* cheaper based on price posted on helio.com
    Its CDMA which means Sprint/Nextel.
    BUT we have the kool-aide errr slickest UI on the smartphone/PDA market currently*

12. philgilder macrumors 68000

on paper

13. View macrumors regular

I think he means the out-of-the-box major email providers supports, and not overall.

I think iPhone wins all the way.
    As for stereo speakers, I don't think it's that important, as do you listen to your ipod on its built-in speakers (if it had one)?? Doesn't matter if it's stereo or not, the sounds still pretty $hi**y compared to the BOSE sound dock, or a pair of B&O headphones...

14. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

Both of us in our house went from Helio Oceans to iPhones and think there's no comparison. The iPhone is a decidedly better phone.

Your list is pretty much word-for-word what I would have said, although I'd also add in that the call quality on the iPhone is better than the Helio's was for us. People we called were constantly asking us to repeat ourselves on the Helio, and that's not happening with the iPhone, plus I can hear the person I'm calling much more clearly.

15. philgilder macrumors 68000

oh, sorry, yes, i see

stereo speakers an inch apart also make very little noticeable different to the sound

16. maokh macrumors 6502

The ocean *was* a novel phone when it came out...but thats a was now. It operates on a floundering MVNO that was on the verge of failure.

Right now, he's trying to compare a 2003 Honda to a 2008 Mercedes. Its not even in the same league.

Yeah, its got a full browser, too bad its a pain in the butt to use. The AppStore is leaving any deficiencies the phone had in the dust.

No MMS? Gee... get with the times people. thats soo 2001. Use email. MMS is a stop-gap solution before some normal/real conveyance of imagery was possible.