Hell hath no fury as an upset Mac!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mbukhari, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Mbukhari macrumors newbie

I purchased a Mac some time back and have only started making my discoveries on it now. The trouble is its driven me crazy! I just created a master password only to realise I lost the password for my main login keychain. The instructions told me to use the Mac installation cd to create a new password which is great except, I already have a CD stuck in my CD player and it wont come out despite several efforts. Ive tried all the stick card tricks but it wont even acknowledge theres something stuck there!What should I do? I need a cost effective solution- somebody suggest something?

2. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

You can delete your login keychain. This drove me krayzie when i purchased my first mac used from my friend. Ummm....

I am going to try to find the instructions, you do not need a disc, It doesn't always work on the first try but I have done it for work a couple of times..

3. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

Here you go

Again, you might have to do this a couple of times to get it right for some reason... After you succeed your old saved passwords will be gone and you will have to re add them to your keychain as you move forward...

Note: This doesn't happen if you change your account password using Accounts preferences.

If you want your default keychain to be unlocked automatically when you log in, synchronize your Keychain Access and account login passwords by doing this:

Open Keychain Access (you can get to it by choosing Utilities from the Go menu in the Finder).
    From the Edit menu, choose Change Password for Keychain "login."
    Type the former password of the account that you are currently logged in to, then click OK.
    If you entered the correct password, a new window appears; enter the original password again in the Current Password field.
    In the New Password field, type the password that matches your current account password.
    Re-enter the newer password in the Verify field, then click OK.
    I don't remember my original (former) account password
    If this is the case, you'll have to delete the keychain.

In Keychain Access, choose Keychain List from the Edit menu.
    Delete the "login" keychain.
    The next time you log in to the account, you can save your current password in a keychain.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

By way of getting the disk out, have you tried booting while holding down the mouse button? If that doesn't work, it may need surgery.