Hello. 2008 Macbook and 2012 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Scomac, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Scomac macrumors newbie

Hello.

My 2008 Macbook is going to have 8 GB Ram and a 250GB SSD fitted to make sure I can get another couple of years life from it as it has been totally superb since new. I'm hoping this will run Yosemite nicely and seeing as it still has over two hours battery so it will be my portable solution, as my 15" MBP is not so portable really. Been reading plenty on here and the internet that suggests that this will be a decent thing to do. At the moment I can't afford to replace so while this will be spending money, it is much, much less than a new computer. I have had a little play with the new MB but the only computer I would probably be able to afford even in a years time would be the base model Air!!

I owned the MB from new in 2008 and it has been nothing but totally reliable, unfortunately I have no idea why I never updated from Leopord............. It's the 2.4Ghz version and I do wonder how many OSX updates it will survive but hopefully wll be lie a new computer when I get it back.

Need to post something about the MBPro on the other forum section now, got a few questions....

2. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

Are you sure that it can be updated to Yosemite? I had an early 2008 white macbook and I couldn't upgrade it past lion. You may want to check the specs of your computer because your macbook may not be upgradable.

3. Scomac thread starter macrumors newbie

Mine is the Unibody and Apple do say that it is supported. I just can't bring myself to get rid of it as it has been so good. Also if anything happens it's not the end of the world. I'm sure it will be fine.

4. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

The 2008 aluminum MacBooks can be updated to Yosemite and by extension El Capitan. The pre-unibody MacBooks didn't support anything beyond Lion until the early 2009 models.

5. UKgaryb macrumors regular

You are right The white pre unibody MacBooks can't run anything above lion but there are some hacks out there to make it work, I did this with a 2008 white MacBook with a ssd and 4 gb ram runs nice.

Edited as I was stupid and thought you said MacBook pro

6. BlackBenz macrumors newbie

BlackBenz

I have a macbook early 2008 too. How can i install something above Lion? can u help?

7. Scomac thread starter macrumors newbie

Got my Macbook up to date with 8 GB RAM and a Samsung 250GB SSD along with Yosemite installed...........

It's like a new computer. Everything is much quicker and snappy and I have yet to find anything not good so far. Even the battery seems to lasting a little longer than before. Not bad even compared to my quad core i7 Macbook Pro. So, worth it as there is nothing basically wrong with it and it is still reliable and I do like the keyboard a bit more than the more recent ones....... But that might be just me.

So all the advice I found seems to be correct and that is worth updating the post 2008 Macbooks anyway. I have been pleasantly surprised at the results. Also for carrying around a big city like Budapest with lots of things to bump into etc I am happier with an older machine that can be replaced for a couple of hundred instead of a machine that costs over a thousand to replace.