Hello! A question re purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zenji, Feb 12, 2010.

1. zenji macrumors newbie

Hello everyone!

I have been reading for a while and what a lot of information!!!

I just bought a 15.4 MBP 2.8 GHz with antiglare screen. I love it. I know they are going to refresh these machines.

I want to buy another machine (13") for portability. Several questions:

1.) Does the 13" come with the antiglare?
    2.) Does anyone have huge issues with the glossy screen over time?
    3.) Would you recommend the 2.23 or the 2.53 in a 13"?

Thanks so much.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

1) No(t yet)
    2) The glossy screens on my 13" and 15" has never been an issue for me.
    3) If you can afford it always get the faster one.

I barely can tell the difference between my 2.4 and 2.8 GHz boxes, but 2.2 might be enough of a difference to be noticeable.

What do you use your computers for?

B

3. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

1.) Nope, hopefully, with the next update, it will come.
    2.) I do. It makes the computer unusable in direct sunlight and in brightly lighted offices. I TRULY HATE THIS MEGA-SUPER-HYPER-EXTRA GLOSSY SCREEN!
    3. Get the fastest, but personally, I would wait until the upgrade, even if it's a few months away. By the time that you get the RAM, you are already $100 into that price. It might sound hypocritical, but I bought the cheaper one first. I just couldn't justify the expense as I knew that I wouldn't keep it for long. I bought memory from Ebay (good deal, but now for some reason, RAM is more expensive) and I purchased a 7200RPM Seagate HDD. In the end, I was about 100-160 dollars behind the price of the 2.53GHz (OK, I've had a better HDD), but it bugged me so much that I just knew that I could have got a lot more power. You need the RAM now and you need the proper HDD, so you have to spend some money to beat the beachballs, anyway. Just as well, you might spend what you have to to be able to really enjoy your MB Pro.

But as I said, I would now wait for a few months...

4. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

1) Only 15" and 17" MBPs come with anti-glare
    2) It depends on where you use your MBP. You'll find a variety of opinions on this subject. The best thing may be to go to Apple Store and see what could work the best for you. I travel and due to a variety of environments I work in, I prefer anti-glare.
    3) Depends on what you intend to do with your MBP. The biggest speed increase will really come from an SSD, rather than a marginally faster CPU.

5. zenji thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much. I really like the matte screen so it is a bit sad that they don't have the option on a 13".

I will go check it out again. It feels like a mirror, the glossy screen so I wondered if anyone had any issues with it.

I mainly use my computer for basic things (word processing, browsing, lots of social media work), some video editing (very rare), pictures. I will need to get into making more videos but other than that, nothing major.

I wish to get the 13" for portability reasons especially with the refresh around the corner, I thought I might be able to score a deal on a 13". I also used to have the MBA which I didn't like because of battery life. It only lasted a couple of hours!! (with web browsing, etc.) So I thought that I'd get the 13" MBP 2.2 or 2.53.

I had read in one of the threads that one of the store guys told a person that the 2.2 was a useless machine (I maybe recalling incorrectly) and therefore my question.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The other difference between the stock 2.2 and 2.53 is RAM, and that's a biggie. Definitely get 4 GB of RAM whichever one you choose. 2GB is confining for Snow Leopard IMHO.

EDIT: I also believe there are third party matte replacement glass for the 13".

B

7. zenji thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for the insight and the detailed response. I am a girl and while I enjoy mirrors, (not that much) it is a bit difficult with the super shiny screen. I am so surprised that they don't let you customize it.

I am very happy with the 2.8 MBP and the matte screen is gorgeous.

8. zenji thread starter macrumors newbie

You are correct. I already changed the hard drive on the 2.8 MBP to a 80 GB SSD. I had one that I bought at a killer deal so I am so happy to use it.

9. zenji thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I will research the matte replacement for 13". That might be an excellent idea.

10. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Wish i had money to blow b/c im bored with a 15"

11. zenji thread starter macrumors newbie

:)