Hello Again or Goodbye Again

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by protoxx, Oct 30, 2016.

1. protoxx, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016

protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

Hello Touchbar
    Hello Price increase

Goodbye Magsafe
    Goodbye SDcard reader
    Goodbye USB
    Goodbye Air 11" (deathwatch on 13")
    Goodbye Ethernet and CDrom (long unloved, uncool, unupdated original Macbook Pro)
    Goodbye HDMI
    Goodbye DisplayPort
    Goodbye VGA
    Goodbye Thunderbolt 1 & 2

Touchscreen, what's that? Try next door.

Why touchbar (separate touchscreen with minimal usefulness) and not touchscreen?
    At a large premium no less.

Instead of the two low speed usb3-c ports why can't at one or both of them be eliminated in for either usb-3 or Sdcard?

Premium would make sense of you got a real touchscreen and a usb-3 and a SDcard reader. Adding more usb3-C ports isn't as much of a advantage since they are chainable and each can connect to many devices. Why aren't the two ports on the entry model split between the sides giving more flexibility in connecting?

Esthetics trumping usefulness. 2011 iMac had firewire, usb2 and lightning ports. Covered both past, present and future. Laptop has more limited space, but would it of been that big a deal to have just one conventional usb port out of 4?

2. Teemuhyn macrumors newbie

Teemuhyn

I dont like the idea that MacBook (or any Mac) would have a touchscreen. macOS whole UI would need to be redesign if the Mac's had touchscreen.

3. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Try some serious Excel spreadsheet number crunching on a touch screen - definitely no fun.

4. PhiLLoW macrumors 6502

Why would you want a touchscreen?

It's exhausting to lift your arms from the keyboard to select something. Also macOS isn't designed for a touch interface. Access a mac from an ipad( use Teamviewer, Splashtop or similar ) and you know what I mean.

5. protoxx, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016

protoxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

protoxx

[QUOTE="PhiLLoW, post: 23826432, member: 893901"
    It's exhausting to lift your arms from the keyboard to select something. [/QUOTE]

Guess my beer is safe from you. I'll select a nice ale.

IOS and MacOS are both forks of OSX. So not that insurmountable to port back and forth.

How about scrolling documents, webpages, etc. See all the things that they were bragging on the touchbar about. Sliders yup. See everything you can do in a iPad/iPhone. BTW the touchbar is a touchscreen, abet one with very limited functionallity requiring reworking and recoding.

6. Andropov macrumors regular

Andropov

I have literally no idea why would you want to scroll with a touch screen rather than with the trackpad. Having to lift your arm to touch the screen is definitely not comfortable even for short periods of time and is accomplished much faster with the trackpad + keyboard.

In order to have a useful touch screen you'd need an approach similar to what Microsoft is doing with the Surface Book, being able to separate the screen from the keyboard, and you'd still need to heavily redesign macOS (and most if not all 3rd party applications).

So not going to happen. Touchbar is nice-ish because you can use it without putting your finger in an uncomfortable position, although for most applications it'll be probably be no more than a gimmick.

7. PhiLLoW macrumors 6502

Guess my beer is safe from you. I'll select a nice ale.

[/QUOTE]

And my screen is safe from fingerprints ;-)

8. ATC macrumors 6502a

OP, you forgot "Goodbye great keyboard, hello world's second crappiest keyboard".

Having used my wife's 12" MB I'm reserving the no. 1 crappy keyboard spot for that one.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried the new MBP's keyboard yet. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

9. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Well, on that note, I still wanted to see the screen detachable (magnetic) - basically making it a really big iPad Pro - but with connectivity back to the keyboard - allow us to reconnect it in portrait or landscape to the base. The added processing power in the screen could add more versatility. (also additional speakers)
    And...yes...could have left the "lit" Apple logo. (I was kinda hoping for an OLED that we could have had nice effects with....lightning....raindrops against a window...magma) :) (yes, a gimmicky toy-like thing...but it's the little things that make Apple hardware sexy).
    Sorry...I'll stop thinking different now. :(

10. lobo1978 macrumors 6502

lobo1978

You need touchscreen for this? Seriously?

You want to smudge screen you are looking at all the time? Seriously? Have you ever seen smudged screen sitting back to the window? It is useless -

For casual - couch browsing- where touch is actually more handy - you have iPad -- Without clanky keyboard in your way.

11. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Guys...just because the screen supports touch, doesn't mean that you have to USE it! :) Those that are anal about finger prints, just use it per normal.
    Edit: Or, hell, make it an option to order one without (and save $150)

Sorry, but when your significant other points out something on the screen and it highlights it, you won't be able to get them to stop. ;)

12. Savor Suspended

Savor

The title of the thread is the mantra for most platform switchers these days. I like the OP's post though. That's the shortcomings of allegiance or being so attached to one brand that expectations remain high only to be disappointed because nobody is perfect.

Hello Apple. Goodbye Apple. Hello again. Goodbye again. Isn't that what we see hear all the time especially between iOS v Android? I moved to this platform , I moved to that platform, I went back to the other one, blah blah blah.

Fickle. But that's life. We change things up or we don't. A permanent ecosystem brand user? What the hell is that? Even car manufacturers, clothing brands, shoe brands, food brands, and carriers don't really have permanent fanatics. Bandwagon fairweather fans going from here to there.

If athletes can't stay loyal to one team, the constant overlap with tech where it evolves and so are our needs, then nobody really is permanent toward a specific brand . Like arguing with relatives or spouse. You love them, hate them, love them again, hate them again, then...

Hello. Goodbye.

13. SVTM macrumors member

SVTM

14. chabig macrumors 68040

Too much drama. Actually, none of these are gone.

15. HellasLEAF macrumors member

HellasLEAF

The only one of those I will miss is the magsafe. I really don't know how I will function without that I trip over that cable regularly. Such a clever option.

The rest can be handled by extension I mean the idea is to be portable. The lighter and thinner and more powerful you get if you want to extend that battery life, the fewer built in ports you will find. Or again, just go 2015 MBP and you are set. It's still a fantastic laptop!

16. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Nonsense. Just look at Windows. Slapping a skin vaguely on top of a decades old interface is all it takes...