Hello, and any advice?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Solarplight, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Solarplight macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I am new to both this forum and macs. I run Fedora 12 on my main machine, I recently switched from FreeBSD, and have rarley even touched anything other than a *nix box in years. On different *nix systems I've programmed with Python, C, C++, Perl and Java, my proficiency in that order Python being my most familiar/fav language. Though, being that I program purely for fun, never as job or anything(though I have given small contributions to a couple small opensource projects, none of any major value), I would not call myself an expert, by any means, in any, and barley more than a beginner in Java.

My friend just gave me his old iBook, running OS X 10.3.9, to screw around with, so I'm looking to take up a little mac programming. I'm downloading xcode tools v1.5. right now.

I am really just looking for any info/advice for a '*nix'er learnin some mac stuff. One main thing I am wondering, since mac has become so *nix like, at least that's what I've heard and so it seems(This box seems to have a version of bash on it, allbeit an apparently slimmed down version than what I'm used to). If there are any tools and/or progs that have been ported over, or at least function like, that someone like me might be familiar with. And really wondering what the opensource community for mac is like.

Thank you, in advance, for ay info.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Re: the opensource community: fink, darwinports

I would also note there is a bridge from Python to Cocoa so it is possible to write native OSX GUI apps in Python if that's what you are comfortable with. PyObjC.

3. subsonix macrumors 68040

Mac os is from 10.5 not just *nix like but proper Open group certified Unix.

http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/brand3555.htm

I find it odd that you say that bash is slimmed down, it's a standard bash interpreter that you get in terminal. You also have sh, ksh and csh to chose from. What is it that doesn't work as you expect?

http://developer.apple.com/internet/opensource/opensourcescripting.html

I would have a look at macports for ports of various open source projects.

http://www.macports.org/

Darwinports is not supported anymore (abandoned) from what I have understood.

4. Solarplight thread starter macrumors newbie

Awsome, yeah I know vary little about macs.

this could be because I am running 10.3, but for the most part, yeah your right. I had only been on this thing for mabye an hour when I posted. There is really just a few difference from whats on my Fedora 12 box like no rmdir only rm -d. And there were a few other cases when I first got on, can't think of 'em right now, where the options on a command weren't quite what I accpected.

Thank you both for the info. Downloading fink right now and I'll def be checking out PyObjC, thanks robbieduncan.