Hello and help needed to buy a new laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LvBu, Aug 12, 2011.

1. LvBu macrumors newbie

At first i want to say hello to everybody being a new member of this website. :)

Then here is my "trouble"
    I've never owned a mac, but i 've got the chance to try a macbook (the white one) for several weeks and for my works it was quite amazing.
    Now i need a new laptop for rendering with Vue 9.0, modeling with zbrush 4 and maya and of course graphic and web design with... (try to guess..) adobe suite.

Ok, i've to say that I really liked mac osX instead of windows, even if the 7 version looks quite stable and that moved me to change my "pc world's view" but... Is a macbook pro 15" with 128Gb SSD and (this next one looks poor, indeed) amd radeon 6490 256mb worth for 1948 €?

Also, is it powerful enough for the program i've to use?

Or for my needs should i buy something like HP ENVY 17-2180el

Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM (2.00GHz, 6MB L3)
    HD 500GB - RAM 8GB - Display 17.3" wide
    Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n - Windows 7 Home Premium
    Webcam and microphone - Bluetooth
    AMD Radeon 6850M 1GB
    -

Ok, it runs windows (ouch!), but it's also bout let me save 600€ and having a more powerful hardware.. I really don't know what to buy

Thanks in advance for the help

LvBu

2. HussamRaed macrumors regular

HussamRaed

First Of all, Welcome to MacRumors !!!

And about your Question, i would definitely recommend the The MacBook Pro over the Envy, you will certainly LOVE yours, the Mac world is Amazing !!!
    If you really want the 15" and have the money, Go for it,
    but i recommend the 13" Base Model Which is a really Fast Machine !! and will do all the things you said perfectly, and you can pop an SSD at any time you want.
    All in all, the MacBook Pro 13" would be Great, But it you really need the extra screen size then go for the 15.

Good Luck !

3. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Did you not bother to read his post or did you just feel like rooting for your favorite Macbook?

The man (or gal) said he will be rendering in Maya and you're advising him to get the 13" base model over the 15" and the Envy.

If I were OP I'd get the Envy, not sure why everyone hates Windows here but Windows 7 is better than OS X (SL and Lion) in my opinion.

4. HussamRaed, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

HussamRaed macrumors regular

HussamRaed

I said that if he wants the extra size then he would consider getting the 15", because he also want to save money, thats way i recommended the 13, its cheaper.

And he will be rendering in maya ??, Dose it really matter where he render?

why he bothered posting in MACRUMORS ?, Why he didn't post in HP's?, because he wants a MACBOOK....

5. njean777 macrumors 6502

Im curious if you like windows, why do you have a mac?

6. LvBu thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, i needed these info about buying a mac or not and i think my decision will be right bout the macbook pro.
    Cause it seems everywhere i can find the same answer: if u want a machine which can last longer with less troubles then get it.. and so on...

I don't hate windows, especially the 7 version, and i've actually not interests bout all those annoying and endless discussion around "pc vs mac"
    I was just able to see that i'm more curious about exploring a new way to live the computer than having a 3d screen or a lot of gb of ram video at all cost, considering than both of those machines (mac and envy) are enough for my needs, as i have been able to check.
    Now i'll see personally if the macbook pro is worth of all those money.

Thanks a lot to you all for the help!

7. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

It doesn't matter "where" he'll be rendering, but since he'll be rendering, recommending a dual core i5 over a quad i7 isn't the beat advice. It's actually horrible advice.

8. LvBu thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree on this point, indeed surely i've to pass over the 13" and get the 15" with, of course, the better i7 quad core

9. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Because I like the design of the MBP.

Any other obvious questions I can answer for you?

10. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

hmm you said the envy 17 right? are you considering the 17" or 15" pro? seems like no one realized that part in the first post...

11. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

The 17" MBP is like $1000+ more than the Envy-17. I'd recommend either 15" MBPs if you need it for rendering.

12. shyam09, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

hmmm.. it is rather tempting to say get a MBP, but in all honestly there is nothing wrong with Windows. The thing people apparently fear the most is the black screen of death, and pretty much viruses, malware, etc... but the latter can be taken care with a good antivirus/anti-malware combo.. i suggest avast, avira, Microsoft Security Essentials, and Malwarebytes Antimalware

when are you looking looking to purchases? When i have some more time, ill browse around on the net and find great laptops...
    It seems to be that the 2011 15" will take care of your needs, but then if money is a problem definitely go PC..

to sum it up.
    If you have cash go with MBP, if not go with Windows.. To be honest you can't go wrong with either :p

Source:
    I have both a Mac and a PC [PC user longer, and yes it does slow down over time, but nothing like a good defrag, start up solution, etc fixes it all up :D]

EDIT:
    Amazing PC deal
    http://dealnews.com/HP-dv7-tqe-Core...-ray-Laptop-for-980-free-shipping/490348.html

P.S> HP Academy also takes some $$$ off too !!

13. LvBu, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011

LvBu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot to you all, really! Those hp series have a really interesting price, that's right, also too much interesting, till i can ask myself: "where's the trick?" lol.
    Jokes apart my budget, i mean the agency budget, is 'bout 2000 €, no more than that, yeah, so 17" macbook pro is too much expensive and also a 17" is less portable than a 15". I put in my list the 17" envy just cuz i wasn't able to find offers, here in italy, for 14 or 15" at the time i posted this thread, that's all.

'Bout windows i think it is not bad and i'm a happy user of win 7, right now. But in my past experiences Xp passed to be a great OS till turning into something totally bugged and unstable year by year, service pack after service pack.. i've almost no doubts it'll happen to 7 version too, maybe (MAYBE) it'll start to come out as soon windows 8 wil break out on the market...
    To sum up i can say i need a machine which can last 4 or 5 years and, gathering together all the pieces, from prices to my real needs, i got that the best option to me is a macbook pro 15" with amd radeon 6750.. i can wait some time to find something into refurbished offers, being able to stay within the 2000€.

About myself, philosophically, i'd trash both win and mac and i'll go happy with open source, unluckily the softwares i need mostly are developed by majors and they are actually superior to any open source i could find around (for example photoshop can't be compared with gimp, too much difference!!).

Thank you again, let me know ur opinions again.