Hello and thinking of buying with a question

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Chopper read, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Chopper read macrumors newbie

Hello people, have been using this website for years. I pretty much love everything apple and have owned so many different apple products through the years.

My question is, thinking of buying a 13inch air tomorrow. Will 4 gig ram be fine for pages,Safari,iTunes,messenger etc. won't ever be doing any photo/movie editing. Or should I get the upgrade and wait a week? (I don't like waiting)

Many thanks.

2. Ray Brady macrumors 6502

For those needs, 4GB will be more than sufficient. The only recommendation I would make would be to buy a Refurb, to save some money. In either case, enjoy your new machine!

3. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

I concur, I was worried 4GB would not be enough and its plenty on my Air, for general use its fine. I also agree, refurbs are a great deal too.

4. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

5. Chopper read thread starter macrumors newbie

Wicked, thanks. My wife has student id so am getting discount that way.

Cheers for the advice. Looking forward to it.

6. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

I don't believe you can get discounts on refurbished Mac's even with student ID.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is correct. You can't buy Apple Refurbished products with education discounts.

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

Today I multitasked fcp with raw 1080i video, safari, media express, a converter, itunes, ... on a mba with 4gigs ram.
    Didn't break a sweat.

For your uses 4gb is a lot.

9. Chopper read thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha nice quite a lot then. I did think they wouldn't sell them with 4 gig if they needed more. I think the pros only recently changed to 8 gig.

Sorry I just meant I'm getting student discount on the rrp. Not a refurbished one.

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

Also look here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1756865

Despite my experiences with the 4gb mba I would recommend at least 8gb for regular/extensive video editing.
    Color grading even a small clip in DaVinci resolve will push 4gb ram quite high. (It also cooks your cpu)

11. Chopper read thread starter macrumors newbie

So i bought a air on saturday. Love it, is great where it has the air fan holes at the back so there is never any worry about them getting blocked using it on the sofa or in bed. Ive come from using a iPad air with retina display and new it wouldn't be the same quality. It isn't but now I have sold the iPad and got used to what is still a great screen I'm really enjoying it. So you can go back once you have used retina.

Question though; was mooching around iTunes preferences and the preferred video version under playback is set to 1080p. I want to change that to 720? the screen can't play it in 1080 can it?

Thanks

12. Meister Suspended

Meister

Congratulations! :)

You could download in 1080 and the screen will play it as good as possible.

13. Chopper read thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah cool, thanks :)

14. abbeybound macrumors newbie

15. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

As mentioned, 4 gigs should be fine. I got 8 gigs and by looking at the Activity Monitor, I have never gotten up to 4 gigs with the same usage you are going to buy the system for. You should be fine.

16. m98custom1212 macrumors 6502