Hello Apple

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Ryox, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

Whats your story with the Mac?
    How or why did you start using Macs?
    What was your first Apple product? Did you use an Apple product before you got a Mac?
    Share your story:)

2. Saikou macrumors 6502

Saikou

I remember a looong time ago, maybe right when OSX had just come out, a friend of mine had a snow iBook and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Once I saw him do a text-to-speak in textedit, I was sold. Haha, I was maybe 14 at the time.

Now of course, I use my mac for just about everything but the text-to-speak feature thing, but I thought it was the coolest thing back then.

Since then I've had a 15" 1.0 Titanium PB, 12" 1.5 Alu PB, and now a 2.16 MB. I use it for everything from small time video production and web design to itunes/internet at college.

3. mac daddy macrumors newbie

mac daddy

My first experience with Apple was the Apple II, way back in the early 80's in elementary school. :apple:

In the mid 90's, when I was ready to get my first computer for law school, I considered a Mac, but wound up with a Compaq. At my first job, we used Macs, and I was sold. I bought my first one in 1999. It was a green iMac DV 400. Great machine, which my kids now have in their bedroom. A few years later, I bought a iMac G4, an really great computer which I still use. Three years ago, I got an iBook G4, which I love and use daily. Most recently, an iPod nano (2g).

4. Ryox thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ryox

I've used macs since I was a kid. My school had them when I was in primary school. I cant remember what kind of macs they were but I remember the rainbow apple mark on them.
    The first mac I remember using that I can point out the model of was the Power Mac 9500. I think it was one of the first macs that transitioned to Power PC processors? Again my school got one of those. I remember that thing was quite fast for its time. It was about the only computer I used in my early life and It taught me how to use a computer.
    And when I moved to secondary school, That school had iMac G3s. The colourful CRT monitors? Those were really the only computers in the second stage of my life that I knew how to use and really took me into the Mac side of things.
    I got my first personal mac that was the ibook G3 "Dual USB" much later, when everyone was using windows... I learnt to use windows but I got it since It was the only OS i knew and I wasn't too keen on the windows PC. I used it until it broke.
    It was replaced by a iBook G4
    Than I got a PowerMac G4, G5
    Last Gen Power Book G4 12" 1.5Ghz
    Recently a MacPro Octo 3.2Ghz 8800GT
    And getting a new MBP very soon.
    So I've been a Mac user since the beginning and never really switched...

5. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I got my first Mac when I was 9 for my birthday, a iBook G3 900MHz, 256MB RAM, it now has a dead HD :(

6. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

I looked into the Mac side back in 2003. Windows was all I knew. I got really fed-up with the upkeep on a daily and weekly basis of my PC at the time. I felt I was spending more and more time on maintenance, re-installs, and other stuff like defragmenting, viruses, and spyware.

Things had to change, surely there has to be a better way? Isn't computing all about what you do, and not how you maintain the damn thing?

So I was afraid, very afraid about switching - but I took the plunge, I bought the Alu Powerbook G4 15" with Panther, upgraded to Tiger once it was released. I now have a iMac Alu 24" 2.8Ghz, and a iBook for traveling around.

I enjoy my computing experience, get things done, and feel more happier and productive.

I will never go back to Windows, ever! :D

7. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Well the first time I used a Mac was when I used my Dad's G3 to play bugdom. I'm not sure which year it was but I think it was early 2000s. It was running OS 9 and was a refurb, I think. I'm not sure about it anyway but I fondly remember playing bugdom. That was one epic game.
    I also used some G3s at school (around 2003, 2004) and used an app called "Amazing Animation". I was pretty good at it and I enjoyed using it :D shame I didn't become interested in Macs sooner... I guess it was because I had Windows XP at home which I was not only more familiar with, but I thought it looked better than OS 9.
    My Dad then bought an iBook G4 that I used once or twice. I thought I deleted iMovie because I accidentally removed it from the dock. Oops. I've never actually told him but I guess that since I didn't delete it properly, it should be there still xD Anyway, I used MSN on it and didn't like the MSN client as it sucked - which is why I now use Adium :D
    Finally, I used some Mac Minis at school with Comic Life, which was fun. To my annoyance, Comic Life is not included on new Macs... WHY!? It was one of the things I loved about the Mini I used (ah well, I'll buy it one day).
    Oddly, the day my iMac arrived, I saw that my school had bought some older 17" iMacs (it was September 07) and it made me want mine so badly... then when I got home, there it was! haha. It heard my prayers!

So yeah, that's my story of my introduction to Apple. I think I used my friend's iPod Nano briefly before-hand too, but that doesn't really count.

8. foidulus macrumors 6502a

After Microsoft treated me like a theif

after I dropped about $200 on XP, my machine crashed(of course) after I plugged in the notebook power supply. The crash set the machines date back to 1980, and since I didn't register my copy of XP beforehand, Microsoft assumed I was trying to steal it and locked me out. I was in Japan at the time and had to call this number, waste a half hour of my life and work through some language issues before I could finally activate the copy of the thing I had JUST bought.

Not wanting to constantly be treated like a potential criminal by Billy G, I looked elsewhere. I had enjoyed working with Linux as a server OS, but as a desktop it was lacking. It was then I read about OS X(would have been late 2003 or so) and was hooked. A unix OS that was functional as a desktop and damn pretty to boot. I took the plunge, bought an iBook and since then have purchased a powermac g5, a powerbook, and now a macbook SR. Couldn't be happier with the mac on the desktop....as a server however I still prefer Linux. Macs server products just aren't there yet, and honestly will probably never catch up with Linux.

Fortunate to work at a place where we use all macs as desktops, but alas we also use some on the server side....