Hello everyone

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Iggy0828, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Iggy0828 macrumors newbie

Let me start out by saying that it has been years since I last used a Mac. After thinking about it for a while I decided to get away from Windows and come back.

I apologize if there is a thread covering this already.

I'm looking for a list of useful apps to install on my new iMac. I got the 2011 21.5" i5 2.5 GHz quad core system yesterday. So far so good, but anything that might make this easier or more enjoyable would be fantastic.

Thanks!

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Click2flash (or something similar). Blocks flash on web browsers which runs very badly on Macs.

3. Iggy0828 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Little Snitch and 1password ... love those Apps

5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Little Snitch is interesting... I used it a few times and I still have it installed... although ultimately, as someone without very specific uses (standard web browsing), I didn't find much use for it.

I will use it though whenever I'm using my computer to tether through my phone... lets me know whenever something is using up bandwidth when it shouldn't :)

6. Iggy0828 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the responses. I have a lot to look through now. I am curious about Apple Care. Is it worth the $169 price tag? I've never bought extended warranties on computers before, as I have found that if there is going to be a problem it will happen within the first 90 days.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare
    AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display

As to whether AppleCare is worth it or not, that's a matter of opinion. You'll find lots of opinions on both sides, with roughly 75% saying it's worth it. You really need to decide if it's worth it to you.
    • You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
    • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
    • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase.
      It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
    • You cannot buy AppleCare again or renew it once it expires.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
    • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) agreement.
    If you want more information, you can search the forum, where you'll find dozens, if not hundreds of threads asking "is AppleCare worth it?" The overall consensus seems to be about 75% in favor of it.

Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those searching for the same answers, if you follow this tip.

8. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I would personally get it. Because you get a free year warranty, I would write it down in multiple places a month before it runs out, and just save some money here and there so you can get it when the time comes. Hard drives crash, logic boards fail... it rarely happens but if it does, you'll thank God you got it.

It's kind of a lot but for what they give you and the ability to get it a year after purchase, it really ends up being pretty cheap.

9. Iggy0828 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I've decided to go ahead and get it.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Good choice you probably won't need it, but it's always good to have. As far as apps go, one I'd definitely recommend is VLC it will play basically any type of video file. Also if you need a word processor and presentation software get iWork, I love keynote and pages, although if you need to share files with windows users you can't beat office for Mac.