Hello everyone

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tfward, Mar 22, 2008.

1. tfward macrumors member

Hey everyone I'm new and have a few questions that maybe you guys can help me with. First off just to let everyone know I've never owned a mac until now. I decided to switch over so I ordered a new 2.8 Octo with statard configuration except for adding the 8800gt. So on with the question.

1. What software if any is a must have purchase for the mac?

2. How long does it normally take to receive your shipments from apple? I placed my order yesturday and I live about 4 or 5 hours from the distribution center in orange county.

3. If I install Vista for the gaming side of things will vista recongnize and use all 8 cores?

4. If I do decide to install Vista can I have two seperate raid 0 arrays? I currently have two 250 gb drives and I'm going to order another 320 Gb drive.

5. I also want to order another 2 gb of ram any suggestions??

Thanks in advance.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

1) Most of the software that you 'must' have comes with your Mac. I'd also suggest getting the full iWork, but use the trial to see how you like it. Some enjoy SuperDuper and QuickSilver, but I haven't the foggiest idea what they are and get along fine without them.

Get HandBrake, the DVD ripping video encoding app. It'll scream on that machine.

2) Not. They're very good about shipping, and anything over a day past what the Store says is abnormal (in my experience)

3) Get a 64-bit version of Vista, and maybe Ultimate if you can swing it. You don't need the full version; an upgrade actually works even if you're not upgrading. I know that not all of the Microtards' OSs can see all eight cores. You'll want a 64-bit version to address more than 3.3GB of RAM, since you have a Mac Pro.

4) I don't know. I know that Vista doesn't play well when you try to set it up inside a preexisting RAID... I've no experience in this field.

5) OWC. Click on 800Mhz. The price of four gigs is low enough to make that a viable option, as well.

3. rtrt, Mar 22, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011

rtrt macrumors 6502a

only things i can think of right now to add are.....

a

4. tfward thread starter macrumors member

So do I have to buy specific ddr 800 or will any pc6400 ddr 800 work??

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You MUST have the Apple heat sink. You'll need OWC, RamJet, Crucial, or a Mac dealer with that heat sink.

You'll get overheatings faster than you can say "Sligo Lament" if you don't.

6. tfward thread starter macrumors member

OK thanks. I'll probably just order the OWC then.