Hello from a PC???

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by toondw, Jun 28, 2009.

1. toondw macrumors 6502

Just thought i would join the fun! I have been a avid pc gamer for years but have eventually tired of the constant crashes and rubbish hardware upgrades every few months so have been looking at the mac for the past few weeks.

Now after much confusion :confused: over what to get both in the hardware (looks department) and the hardware (processor 8 or 4?) i have gone for the following.................

mac pro quad 2.66 with the radeon graphics card.

Now i am not a designer, a artist or anything fancy i just wanted something different and cool. The OP is so much better than Vista i cannot believe everybody is not jumping ship, it will be a while before i understand it all but it just seems so..........well simple!

I will however duel boot as i still want to dabble with my pc games.

And yes i could have gone for a iMac but hell the mac pro just "does it" for me.

Anyway folks, just to say i have joined the club and i am not a tekkie as most apple users appear to be so my apologies for bringing the system down but i am a definate convert

Cheers

:D

now don't anybody say i should have gone for the 8 core 2.26!:rolleyes:

2. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Welcome to the club, good choice on the Quad core, take the money that you saved over getting the 8 core and put more ram, bigger harddrives, and depending on what graphics card you got with it, a better graphics card, right now I'd suggest a XFX Radeon 4870 1gb DDR5, it's a great gpu with a good price, I found mine for 149.99 on eBay.

If you have any questions, try to search here first, but don't hesitate to ask, there's a few of us on here who don't have a problem answering questions, even if they have been asked multiple times.

Once again welcome to the Mac Pro club! :D

3. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

OK, I won't. You should have gotten the 2008 3.2GHz octad for the same as you paid for the 2.66 2009 MP. :D Well, at least I didn't say you should have gone for the 2.26 octad. Good thing you didn't go for the 2.26 too - I mean if you like to game and stuff. :p

4. toondw thread starter macrumors 6502

It was actually trawling through this forum and other reviews that made me realise for me, 4 was the way to go and upgrade the ram and graphics with the spare cash saved.

It was between the 4 core 2.66 and the 8 core 2.26, i did'nt look at the older model simply for the "cudos" of having the smell of a new one (sniff sniff).

however i will no doubt feel inadequate when i meet somebody with 8 core. Their's will be bigger than mine but as my wife says it not the size ;)

5. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

This is true? Maybe where you live Tesselator :p

6. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

Personally I have been using Mac and PC for the last 15 years as I need both for work and life.

I always enjoyed high end gaming, so I had to have a PC....but got sick of all the noise generated from 12+ fans. I have tried liquid cooling, but I had a unit that leaked and fried a $4000 setup so decided against that option.

I got the new quad core 2009 Mac Pro and I really enjoy it so far. But this is coming from a person that have been using both and buying hardware/software for both for years so I have always been ready to upgrade.

But it never hurts to switch and one type of system isn't better than another as some enthusiasts may claim. They all have their benefits and uses. But I am going to say that I have yet to have to fresh install Max OS X from OS problems.

Let me break the cost down for you as I had to do this for my wife:

$2299 - 8% Bing cashback on eBay (if you want to buy from ebay but this was the cheapest option when I was shopping around....I didn't buy from eBay though as I had some gift cards at Amazon)

Applecare $71.95 - 8% Bing cashback (ebay seller: macman812) I was very skeptical of this, but it works and it is not a scam if bought from that user as I have bought two now.

4890: I thought about flashing 4870, but I wanted something faster ($150)
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=713428&highlight=4870

8GB ram from OWC:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/85MP3E2M08GK/
    I have always bought memory for Macs on OWC as I have shopped around and saw all the posts and always end up at OWC for Mac RAM.
    I only bought 8GB.

I detailed this out for you as someone else was kind enough to do this for me and it saved me time and money and made the right choice all around. Good luck with your switch.

7. toondw thread starter macrumors 6502

8. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yup. It's true in Australia, Canada, The USA, Japan and China that I know of.

The 3.2 2008 octad refurb/overstock is about the same price as the 2.66 2009 quad is new. And of course the the 3.2 blows the 2.66 out of the water and into outer-space performance wise - no matter what you do with it. ;)