Hello from a Powerbook 190cs!

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by 0ranges, Jan 19, 2012.

1. 0ranges macrumors newbie

Got my 190cs on the net with an Orinoco card! If anyone wants to know more details let me know and I'll post the drivers, I've always wanted to get the 33mhz 68040 using the wifi, it's amazing!! Now I need some classic mac friendly sites...

----------

This I could not completely do from the 190 :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

2. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

That is very cool, I have a 190cs that could maybe do this as well. I would also like to try it on a 3400c too.

I have heard about the 2400c needing a hardware hack (a soldering job) to get the WiFi cards to work. Did you have to do anything like this, or just install the driver software, and it worked?

This is very neat. Only a few web browers are halfway decent in OS 7 - 9 Classic for browsing modern WWW coded sites, iCab is one of them, and Internet Explorer 5.2.3 goofs up on many of them. Opera is another browser. There really isn't much that will allow Classic Mac OS to have a "good" web browsing experience with modern CSS and Java coded sites, but you can still do FTP and IRC just fine, and other Internet stuff that is non-WWW.

Thanks for sharing, and let me know about getting the card working and where to get the drivers!

3. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

4. 0ranges thread starter macrumors newbie

All I did was put the card in (after driver install)

Here are the drivers for 7.6.1. I don't know if it works on anything earlier. I copied a 7.6.1 install folder and the drivers over a localtalk network from my Macintosh TV. I don't remember but 7.5.5 might be OK

The driver can also fit on a floppy. I used Stuffit 5.5 for decompressing.

I can also email the driver to whoever wants it, avoiding the stupid registration on that site, send me a pm

5. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

That is very very neat. Great job and it is so cool to see the forums on that computer!!

6. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

awesome! this wins the 'coolest thing i saw on the internet today' award. :)

great job and thanks for the post.

7. MacTech68, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Well done!

What a lot of fun getting there. Brings back memories and nightmares of trying to get system 7.5 & 7.6 to behave nicely on the www.

:D

EDIT: if you need one of these cards, the original grey Apple Airport Base-station used these internally.

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

9. 0ranges, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012

0ranges thread starter macrumors newbie

Using a Connectix QuickCam color on the 190. The cat has never seen one before either :eek:

It amazes me all the things it can still do. Next I will get some MP3s on it. Probably 10kbps mono so we don't crash :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does anyone know any free POP email services that will still operate on say, an old Eudora or Outlook?

--------------------------

Also I must add, my Compaq LTE 150 Pentium is completely useless on the internet now. Even with literally 4X the RAM and HD of this Powerbook, the PC is slower than stop.

10. MacTech68, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

You should be able to use any service that provides POP mail.

I notice the battery is marked with an "X". Is a battery installed?

There is a "Battery Reset" specifically for the 190/5300 series, which IIRC, should be in "Apple Extras".

EDIT: actually, it may be called "Battery Recondition".... it's been a while...

EDIT2: Also, be careful of the cache setting in Netscape 3.0.x. Keep it as low as possible or even set it to "off" or zero MegaBytes. It had a tendency to bloat, the index would lose track of cache files and eventually corrupt the directory structure of the drive. Saw this many, many, many times. :eek:

You can tell by emptying the cache in Netscape's prefs, then manually check

/System Folder/Preferences/Netscape f/Cache f/

If there are files in there, the index has lost track of them (usually due to Netscape crashing before the index is updated). Make sure Netscape isn't running and delete all the files INSIDE the "Cache f" folder.

11. 0ranges thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm gonna mess with the email thing later tonight, but as far as the battery goes..it is toast! I took it out and found tons of blue gunk. It was corroded everywhere you wouldn't ever know it. The netscape had that problem mentioned. All fixed now, learn something new everyday! Just obtained a Powerbook 165 so I'm on to messing with that! :D

12. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

13. bazzo macrumors newbie

Recently Acquired Powerbook 190cs

Hi,

I have just acquired a Powerbook 190cs and have been looking at various posts.

I find your WiFi post very interesting and applaud you.

I intend attempting to do the same thing myself and would appreciate it if you would e-mail the driver.

Bazzo

14. 95yjman macrumors member

95yjman

Thats pretty cool! Are you buying these machines from ebay or something?

15. AC Rempt macrumors 6502

AC Rempt

I remember this machine very fondly. I wish I still had it, but I sold it to buy a 233 Ghz Wallstreet which I still have. Which Orinoco card are you using?

16. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Very cool! I love to see people making use of 68K Macs. It's amazing how much more useful they are than one would think - especially compared to a PC of similar vintage.

Dunno that MP3s are gonna be possible though - or at least possible to be decoded in real time (which is kind of the whole point). I seem to remember someone making an MP3 player that made use of the DSP in the AV machines, but I'm not sure a vanilla '040 will do it without help.

17. OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

Wow that's really cool! I doubt you can play Youtube on it but for email and browsing MR it seems to work.