Hello, From Another New Mac Convert

Discussion in 'iMac' started by vestigo74, Aug 11, 2008.

1. vestigo74 macrumors member

Hey folks,

I'm a Net Admin for a small web-based company in Calgary, AB. Been in the IT field for close to 15 years now, and have used primarily MS products all the way. I have a couple of Linux boxes setup at the office for various functions (report server, etc), but everything else is MS.

Long story short, after spending all day fixing Windows-related crap at the office, I'm pretty much done with wanting to do it at home too.

So... I ordered my first ever Mac last week. Since I'm OK with the transition to the new OS and I'm pretty quick at picking things up, I decided to go all out and get something that is going to be able to handle becoming my MAIN machine at home. I say this, rather than the "safer" approach of starting small to see if I like OSX.

Anyway, here's my baby:

I've been doing a bit of research, this past week, for a decent Apple forum. I love message boards, and think it's probably the best part of the internet. I think I've settled on this one, so...

Hi! :D

PS: I'm really looking forward to getting into Rails (and Ruby) when my iMac gets here!

2. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

As a recent returner to Mac may I be the first to say;

Welcome home!

:)

(the imac extreme is a beasty and I am sure you'll be overjoyed with it)

3. xpipe macrumors regular

Cool, I hope your transition will be as nice as mine has been (so far)!

4. vestigo74 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the welcomes!

Now, if only it would arrive...

5. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I can imagine that waiting for something like that to come can be maddening :)

6. vestigo74 thread starter macrumors member

Haha, yes it is! I feel like a kid again... man.

As an aside, I was looking to get everything downloaded to start working in Ruby when it gets here... but then I found out that Rails, Ruby, Mongrel, etc, all come pre-installed with Leopard! This is going to be soooo nice compared to taking 3 days to get my .Net IDE up in Windows.

7. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Fellow Canadian, rejoice! :D

I share your feelings man, I swear, I'll take a picture of myself hugging my iMac and plaster it on Facebook LOL.

As well as those unboxing pics. ;)

I can't wait!! :D