Hello, I am a Windows Vista User...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sil3ntP8nd8, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Sil3ntP8nd8 macrumors newbie

Hello!

I have been using windows since I was 5. I have been through most of the Window's OS's. 95, 98, ME, XP, and now Vista. And boy, have windows gone through some changes. Currently I have a crap desktop that I use for basic web browsing, email, video, chat etc. As for my laptop, I have a 17" WXGA+ High Definition BrightView Widescreen, HP Dual Core, 4GB RAM DDR2, Vista 32bit (soon to be 64bit), 2.0Ghz, NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M.

My HP has never failed me yet as well as vista. I have most of Adobe's software such as PS CS3, Premiere, Illustrator, etc...

I think my HP is a really good laptop and doesnt really need to be upgraded. Its pretty powerful enough, except for the graphics card. But I was thinking about switching to mac. The reason I want to switch is because I really want Final Cut, and PC is incompatible. This is the main reason why I want to switch. And the OS is pretty sweet. So if i switched to a mac, would my life be more powerful?

Can I get some advantages and disadvantages between my laptop and maybe a MB or a MBP.

2. oli2140 macrumors 6502

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

4. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

If you think your current GPU isn't good enough then I wouldn't bother looking at MBs (unless they get better GPUs in the new models coming out Tues.)

5. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

As already said - its an expensive game to swap - but ask lots of questions first - do your research - and at least wait until after Tuesday - and maybe a bit longer.

At the moment the MacBook doesn't totally sound right for you - don't switch until you're sure of what you need - The iMac is a good buy for example if you don't need a laptop.

6. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

One can possibly argue the price, but don't you get what you pay for?:D

7. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

lol tell that to everyone that says to get your RAM 3rd party

8. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

If you're suggesting that 3rd party ram is crap, then I would suggest you buy it from apple, at apple's highway-robbery prices, and be happy :eek:

Otherwise, crucial, owc and dms are excellent vendors, all with excellent warranties, return/replacement policies and some of the best customer service on the net ......as well as being well-versed in getting you the correct, high-quality ram for any mac out there......

9. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

No you misunderstand me, if you get what you pay for then Apple's RAM should be 4 times as good as 3rd party RAM when it is actually equal to Apple's RAM with only 4 times the price

EDIT-I have 4GB of 3rd party RAM installed in my MacBook

10. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

get the 'puter that does what you need it to do.......

If you feel that you absolutely MUST have FC to do what you want to do, then you have your answer......

OTOH, your laptop appears to be a fairly recent, well-spec'd model, and as such, a MBP won't necessarily be any better or any worse than it is, at least from a spec/performance perspective

However, as we all know, OS X, and most apps designed from the ground up to run on it (like FC & CS3), ARE way better.......

11. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Well, I've been using 3rd party/off-brand ram in every mac I've owned (10+) since '96 and have never had any probs whatsoever.......even though most macs have become increasingly picky about it over the years.....

My friend also has had 4GB of 3rd party ram since the day he got his MB, and neveranottaproblemo :eek:

12. Sil3ntP8nd8 thread starter macrumors newbie

of course im going to buy ram of newegg or something. Ram from apple is expensive. Plus i was looking at the MBP because I do a decent amount of photoshop, video editing, and i take photography as well...

If the price is right, im going to my apple store and waiting in line for that shiz...lol..

Ive owned my laptop for a year now, but i know the GPU needs to be upgraded..