Hello I am having some issues with permissions, please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bdubbnm, Nov 3, 2013.

1. bdubbnm macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, I have an Imac running Mac OSX 10.6.8. I forgot my mac admin password, do not have my mac install disc and followed the advice given here to create a new admin account: http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-73393-change-mac-admin-password-without-the-disk

It worked fine, then I see all my files are gone but I know they are still on the hard drive as it still shows the same amount of free space available (around 50 gb). I figure they are in the Users folder under the account I had before. However, now I cannot access them as it says I do not have permission. Upon opening that account user folder, the different folders inside have a red minus sign next to them. I right click on the User folder and change the permissions so that my new admin account has permission (read and write) and reboot my mac. yet it still will not allow me to open the folders saying I do not have permission. :confused: I have not removed my previous user admin account yet as I did not know if that would cause any more problems. Any help, I would appreciate it, thanks.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Rather than trying to access the old account from the new one, just follow this to reset the password on the old account and you should be able to log back in to the old account.

3. bdubbnm thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you Weaselboy, that resolved my issues.