Hello! I have a problem with trying to install Mac OS x on my macbook.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cherish99, Nov 7, 2009.

1. cherish99 macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook 3.1 Intel core 2 duo, 4mb, 2 GB memory, 800 mhz, my son tried to install Windows on it, and now nothing works. So I purchased a copy of 13-inch MacBook Pro, Mac os x install dvd, obviously, I got the wrong thing, so, I bought a retail copy of Mac Os X 10.6, I have tried everything, and still I can not get it to work. I keep getting the message "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer". Did I buy the wrong thing again, or is it a partition problem since Windows was on the computer. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks for your time!

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Leopard and Snow Leopard require 867 mhz cpu. what version of osx was it running when you first bought it? Did your son partition the drive or just try to wipe and have just windows on it?

3. cherish99 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not sure what OS was on it or what he did. He said that after he put windows on, it (windows) would work, but then all the apple stuff was gone. And he wanted the apple stuff back.

When I look at the specs for the computer, it does show 800 MHZ, is this really the problem? And now would I need to buy a copy of maybe 10.4, and will the snow leopard ever work?

thanks for your time.

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Try holding the option key when booting and see iif there are 2 partitions. Come back with the result please.

5. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I think the 800MHz the OP mentioned must be the bus speed. No Core2Duo ran at less than 1000MHz, and if the bus speed is 800MHz then the CPU must be at least 1200MHz.

6. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I think it is a 1.83 ghz processor.

7. patrixl macrumors regular

The first thing I thought of - this Macbook probably had Tiger on it, and without doing an "erase and install" with Snow Leopard, it will say it can't be upgraded because it looks for Leopard (10.5) before doing an upgrade.

Somewhere in the customized options when doing the install you can do an erase and install, or find disk utility to erase the disk then you'll be able to install.

Google for how to install snow leopard over tiger, you should get your answers.. if I'm right

8. cherish99 thread starter macrumors newbie

when i hold the option key and reboot, i get the language option, when I click english, I get the Mac os x cant be installed on this computer.

i have gone to disk utility and done an 'erase' . I have also changed to a '1 partition" the format is Mac os extended (journaled) mirrored RAID set.

9. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Sounds like your son formatted the whole drive for Windows without creating a partition for OSX.
    As others have said, check and make sure there is an OSX partition.
    If not, back up everything on the windows side, then boot into disk utility (instert OSX install dvd and hold down d at start up) and partition the drive. The side for OSX needs to be HFS+ (journaled). The windows side should be NTFS.
    Best of luck.

10. cherish99 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am reading another post about installing snow over tiger and it says "

"Your machine is obviously tossing a reflag during the system check. You would need to modify the Distribution file and remove the system checks that flag your system.

I have a suspicion that there is code that ignores machines that shipped with Tiger. Maybe those before the Leopard UTD eligibility date.

I have been going through the Distribution file to find any out of the ordinary system checks. Here it is for others. Unzip, open in textedit.

EDIT: I checked the Localizable.string file from the OSInstall.mpkg. Here is the message you are getting:

Code:
    "IC_Upgrade_message" = "This disc requires that Mac OS X %@ or later already be installed "

How would I modify my distribution file?

11. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Step 3: Scold your child :) jk.

12. patrixl macrumors regular

My Mac is a Core Duo 2 GHz, original Macbook, shipped with Tiger, no problem upgrading to Snow Leopard from Leopard.

Plenty of people have managed to go from Tiger to Leopard, too, by erasing the drive and installing SL..

So either something else is happening, or you're missing a step in the repartition / erase / install process. Having never done it myself (I had Tiger), I can't tell exactly what all the steps are, but the more details you can give, the better.

Patrix.

13. mr666 macrumors regular

Huh??? What's this "Plenty of people have gone from Tiger to Snow Leopard by erasing". That isn't going from Tiger to SL. That's going from Tiger to nothing, and then going from nothing to SL. It's like saying "I can fly from New York to Cuba. All I have to do is stop for a week in Venezuela." Of course you can install SL on an erased hard drive. People would be really up a creek if their hard drive caught fire, they bought a new hard drive, and the SL installer said "OH, NO YOU DON'T! If you have no Leopard, you get no Snow Leopard!" Apple couldn't design an installer that refused a blank hard drive in an Intel Mac. That would get them in a heap of trouble.

Now I am still waiting for someone to say "I installed Snow Leopard over Tiger -- actually over the EXISTING Tiger." No one has said they have done this yet. Many have said "I'm sure you can do that." But saying and doing are two different things.

14. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I'm fairly surprised that the OP has made no mention of the original restore disks that came with the MacBook. There was only the immediate incorrect purchase of MBP disks (I think) and then Snow Leopard.

Perhaps This Article will help get Snow Leopard on your MacBook. Read through the instructions carefully and follow all of the steps. If there is some confusion, post back here for some advice or clarification.

In my opinion, the best case would be retrieving or replacing the original restore disks but Snow Leopard is a great OS and will work on the machine as well.

Good Luck -GDF