Hello, I have a question about Windows 7 RC (x64) on my Unibody Macbook.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jordanh91, May 19, 2009.

1. jordanh91 macrumors member

Well, I was looking through Device Manager, and I noticed an unknown device called "Coprocessor", and I was wondering if anyone else saw this, and if they know what it is...

Also, I have a bit of a headache concerning my Boot Camp sound drivers. With nothing plugged in, the headphone port emits red light (S/PDIF I'm presuming) and no sound is output from the internal speakers.
    Any way to fix that? :confused:

...Also, first post. :D

2. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

For the headphones port... plug in a pair of headphones then remove it. The port is stuck in "Optical" mode.

As for the coprocessor, download and install the BootCamp x64 Update for Vista, available here: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/bootcampupdate21forwindowsvista64.html

EDIT: I know it's an update for Vista, but it works in Win 7 RC :)

3. jordanh91 thread starter macrumors member

I tried the headphones thing, and it didn't work. D:
    Its still stuck in optical mode...:confused:

4. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

Do you have a TOSLink optical cable? If not try a toothpick. There's a little switch inside the port that needs to be flipped to take it out of Optical mode. Warning though.. BE GENTLE!

5. Toofan macrumors member

I wouldn't worry about the coprocessor personally. To the best of my knowledge, it's basically a miniprocessor your CPU offloads work to, to perform FLOPS (Floating Point Operations). The coprocessor is built into your CPU in modern intel architecture. Often, when running a VM, I get messages which tell me the coprocessor is not running at a constant speed, and as a result of that, the system clock may run too fast or slow. Unless you NEED windows 7 on your Macbook, avoid fudging around with boot camp, throw it in a VM (using VMWare Fusion, they have an article on how to install Windows 7 in their blog).