Hello. I Just need someone to Point the way !!!

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by BleakLeak, Mar 30, 2012.

1. BleakLeak, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

BleakLeak macrumors newbie

Hello everyone .. I am new to the forum and after looking around i think this is the best mac forum around and it will be great to learn from you all.

To the point.
    I have a Macbook Air, Ipad 1 and Ipod. I would like develop applications for IOS and i reserched a bit.

1)I am currently downloading Xcode for Lion
    2)Got this Book to start with
    ''Xcode 4 iOS Development - Beginner's Guide - S. Daniel (Packt, 2011)''
    3) Told everyone to leave me alone as much as possible and locked my door

Please if u can suggest anything else , like other books or tutorials for noobs like me. it will be great
    especially if you can point a good easy to understand book or place for learning objective C programming.

If there is anything missing other than the account please let me know.

Main reason for this is that i want to Make some apps that can help me with my job and hopefully others and maybe if am good at it, develop something for everyone. Cheers

Thank you
    Have a nice day

2. xArtx macrumors 6502a

Yeah, have your bosses' number handy so you can ring in sick when you can't get some trivial routine working, but can't leave it alone either.

If you smoke get an exhaust fan installed above the computer so you don't have to waste time walking outside.

3. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

4. BleakLeak thread starter macrumors newbie

5. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

What experience do you have with programming already?

6. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

Once you get your developer account be sure to check out the WWDC videos. They have tons of useful information. The Stanford University iTunesU course is also a great free resource.

I found that books do a great job of telling you WHAT and HOW but don't always communicate WHY or WHERE. The videos with experts demonstrating things live help with that.

7. BleakLeak, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

BleakLeak thread starter macrumors newbie

Had a one beginners course in C++ when i was in uni ages ago ... i am willing to start all over again

i am wondering if i have to learn the objective-c laguage ??? i think i am more comfy with c++ but again havent started learning objective c yet.

any suggestions would be great

Downloading them with itunes now thanks

----------

[/COLOR]
    I checked the content and downloading it now with itunes .. thanks a lot

8. firewood macrumors 604

If you know C++, you will catch on to Objective C in roughly 2 weeks of active study and coding. Very little mobile device app code is in C++ these days.

9. BleakLeak thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont know C++ .. just a faint knowledge like variables and very simple exercises from a book .. i want to start all over cuz that was long time ago.

so i guess now i dont have to waste time starting with c++ and just focuss on objective c. i read somewhere that it might take a year to start from zero ... i hope i will get more free time for this

10. CheesePuff macrumors 6502

you never stop learning when it comes to software development. everyone learns different so you may become proficient enough to code an application from start to finish within a few months, or it could take longer.

11. 1458279 Suspended

The amount of time it takes is very hard to say because everyone is different. Past programming is a huge plus.

The BigNerdRanch is a great start.

I'd also go ahead and update to the latest or lastest that your hardware will support. When I opened my dev account, Xcode 4 was just out, I passed on Xcode 3 and went straight to 4.

Some think Snow Leapord is the best setup right now, and that should work well for you.

Note that some books might not cover Xcode 4, check the dates and if you can, preview the book. A book for Xcode 3 is fine, I've used them but it might be confusing at first.

12. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

Best advice I can give is...
    Have a project in mind, ie. your work processes you want help.

Keep a separate note book for your app (or each app) keep all you thoughts in it, dated as you go, as you work though exercises in tutorials take 10-15mins to think how that might apply to your app and write it down. Keep a note on that page about where that info was. This help you break the app up into smaller and smaller chunks until you can turn them in to objects.

Similarly I've been inspired to do the same. Look at the work I do and try to stop some of the glue or grind work I know everyone in my industry is doing.

13. Clubber macrumors member

My computer likes to smoke too.

Definitely have a project in mind. Plan to polish it and release it so you experience the entire publish cycle. It's better in anything but the immediate short term to use ObjC because every example uses it. Learn to love the square bracket. It's ]<[][]]. (that looked much better in 1986)