Hello I need help with a 2005 imac it only boots to logo

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by snot, Jan 14, 2011.

1. snot macrumors newbie

I just bought it for 100$ no software not even a keyboard I have it networked with my pc is there a way I can get in there or install linux since osx seems not to work

2. simsaladimbamba

You could connect a USB mouse and keyboard and use a PPC Linux distro. Otherwise you could contact Apple and they can get you replacement CD/DVDs with Mac OS X 10.3 or 10.4 (Panther or Tiger) on it for 30 USD or less.

3. snot thread starter macrumors newbie

well I kinda accidently put a windows version linix dvd in the drive and I cannot eject it
    I have it networked with my pc though woul it boot from a usb drive?

4. simsaladimbamba

What is a Windows version of Linux? Do you mean an X86 (Intel/AMD) version of Linux perhaps?

As that iMac is a PPC Mac, it can't boot from USB HDDs or ODDs, unless you used an USB HDD to clone the system to.
    You could try to connect a USB mouse to the iMac, as it has USB ports and accepts USB mice.
    Force Eject a Stuck CD or DVD

5. snot thread starter macrumors newbie

Appreciate the tip it ejected with the mous trik now if I download a apple version of linux
    and burn it to a dvd will it boot barring that it is not a hardware problem
    oh it is model Number A1076

6. simsaladimbamba

If you mean a PPC version of Linux, then yes, it should work. WHat about reading some of the guides out there explaining how to install a PPC Linux distro (not many out there) on a PPC iMac?
    And again, there is no Windows or Apple Linux, only Linux dependent on hardware, and Windows is not hardware and Apple only uses different hardware.

7. snot thread starter macrumors newbie

if your going to be on for a few I would like spome help I am a novice with the pc and completely incompetent with an apple

8. simsaladimbamba

I'm still awake for a while, but I don't know if I can help you with Linux, as the last proper experience was in 2001 and there was no GUI involved. Other than that I dabbled only with Ubuntu and some other distros, but nothing serious, especially not with PPC Linux distros.

9. snot thread starter macrumors newbie

10. simsaladimbamba

11. snot, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2011

snot thread starter macrumors newbie

thats is where I found it but its taking its time to9 Download
    I really appreciate the help some people online are great help and
    others dont want to be bothered so thank you in advance
    incase it is a hardware problem

oh yes I could not figure out what kind of processor it has even on a spec sheet
    I found I didnt get it

if your still here would a hardare problem be very expensive like ipod expensive

12. simsaladimbamba

It would be much more expensive, in the 300 to 600 USD range.
    http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/iMac_G5
    eBay might have parts cheaper though, as iFixIt is quite expensive.

What is it you didn't get?

13. snot, Jan 14, 2011

well thanks for all your help ill post when/if I get it running
    thank you for the help

I couldnt identify it as AMD or INTEL so I thought it might be some other maker i dont know It could have been the wrong spec sheet

oh and will it boot from the dvd drive or do I need to plug a keyboard in and press a button

14. simsaladimbamba

Okay.

Apple is the name of the company that designs and makes the hardware for Macs and sells them.
    AMD and Intel are companies that mostly design and produce CPUs (processors) and sell them to Dell, HP, Acer and many other companies to use them in their PCs.

Apple used CPUs from IBM until 2005/6 in all of their Macs and those CPUs used the so-called PowerPC (PPC) architecture, which had CPU names like G3, G4 and G5 with their respective speeds.

In 2005 Apple announced it would switch to Intel CPUs, which use the X86 architecture, which is different from the PPC architecture, meaning sometimes PPC was faster than their X86 counterparts, even with the same clock speed, but IBM couldn't deliver CPUs Intel could now provide, especially in the mobile notebook market.
    AMD also uses the X86 architecture for their CPUs, but Apple does not employ CPUs from AMD in their Macs.

Due to the difference in architectures, X86 software (Linux or Windows or modern Mac OS X) will not run on PPC CPUs, and vice versa, except with translation software like Rosetta in Mac OS X, which allows PPC software to run inside Mac OS X on an Intel Mac.

But to actually boot Linux on a PPC Mac, you need a PPC Linux distro.

Did the above clear up some confusion?

You need a keyboard (any USB keyboard will do) and hold down the "C" key to boot from the ODD or hold down the "Option/Alt" key to select what to boot from.
    Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts

15. snot thread starter macrumors newbie

well I did learn a little but there was not as much confusion as you thought i am a first time pc builder iv destroyed countless others trying to learn and I know nothing of Apple except in 7th grade I had a indusrial tech class with little boxes that had a floppy drive and said apple on it but I did learn a little and I think my ISO Image has finished burning
    so will it boot automatically or do I need to tell it so
    thank you

16. simsaladimbamba

I thought you were confused, as you used terms like "Windows" or "Apple" Linux and that you couldn't identify AMD or Intel.

Anyway, as I wrote before, you need to hold down the "C" key right after the startup chime sounds to boot from the inserted CD/DVD.

17. snot, Jan 14, 2011

thank you it seems to be loading Ubuntu a few more minutes and I will know but6 if it got this far it shouldnt be hardware right sorry if my last post was heated I am going through
    a change of life and often getthat way

Ubuntu is now running I am going to try to install then I will know
    much appreciation

18. snot thread starter macrumors newbie

Success ubuntu10.04 is now loading 50% done i opted to wipe the drive of osx and clean instal linux if possible i am considering getting the original software for this apple i-mac

much grattitude for your help this forum is better with you on!!!:d

19. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

about time... lol, If it was my computer I would junk it and get a brand new one, I don't want a older generation. IMHO.