Hello iMac ??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fritzables, May 6, 2011.

1. Fritzables macrumors regular

Hi All,

Well, today I went out to purchase my first Apple product, one of the new iMacs' that were released this week. Problem it's still being shipped and haven't yet got it - expect to see it next week.

OK, I have been an avid Windows user (current Win7) and need the change from the crap one gets via Windows (Trojans, ...). Under Windows I use Firefox as it's a little more secure that IE.

Do I need to worry about this with Apple, will I also need to use Firefox just to be that tad more secure ??

Pete

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Congratulation on your new purchase, you can install firefox, chrome , opera or what ever browser you like.

3. Zendokan macrumors regular

Zendokan

Hello Fritzables,

You don't need to worry, MacOSX is UNIX based, so that means it's a lot more difficult OS to crack for scriptkiddies and most important, the MacOSX will always ask you for confirmation before installing an application (and Trojans are applications).

Just look at the settings of the standard firewall, read before you install anything and if it goes wrong, there's timecapsule and if that doesn't work, just reinstall MacOSX...and you don't have to be afraid that you need to reinstall all the other applications because the register was overwritten...because it's not. :D

Like you I have been for years and years a Microsoft Hardliner, but I bought the previous iMac in februari, because I had enough of the hassle with Windows.
    My philosofy is that an OS is only needed to run the other applications and be the connection to the hardware and should never become the main focus in the software that's running on your machine.
    Apple understands that philosophy, Microsoft doesn't.

The Safari browser should be good, but I have installed Firefox, not because it's better, but because it looks more familier with Firefox to me (used it also on Windows). Maybe in time, I'll switch to Safari when I'm more at ease with it, but for now it's Firefox.

4. Fritzables thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies and thanks Zendokan, that was a good read and it's great to hear from someone who has been fronted with similar issues.

Is Safari that different ?!?!?

Pete

5. Zendokan, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011

Zendokan macrumors regular

Zendokan

I don't think so, but I opened it in the beginning and I couldn't make it on the fly do what I was used to do on a Wintel system, so I installed Firefox.

Now according to most new Mac users, it's a normal fase that we Wintel users go through. In the beginning we'll search for Apple versions of software that we used on Windows and after a few months we'll start to look at Apple specific software and start to use it.
    Consider it as a "cold turkey" period. Mine is almost finished and next month (too busy with studying for an IT-Certificate this month) I'm going to take a good look at Safari again and at Apple software.

I garantee that the first week (or two) you will be looking in the right uppercorner for the "close/minimize/maximize" buttons. They are in the left uppercorner :p

And remember! Apple is addictive. Before Februari I really didn't like Apple at all, thought it was just an overpriced designed tool for Graphic developers and other "artist alternatives", then I took a change with an iMac.
    Now I have bought an iPad 2 already and I'm waiting for the iPhone 5 (hopefully in September). ;)

Have fun with your purchase,
    René

A small tip: You have probalbly bought your iMac with the standard 4GB (2x2GB) RAM memory? Buy 2x4GB RAM extra from Kingston (very cheap compared to Apple RAM) and trust me that having 12GB in the iMac is always a good thing.